AMD releases Barcelona specs

nitin213

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
These are not Barcey specs, these are the same bogus benchmark figures they published in the WSJ a few weeks back claiming superiority over Intel....

These benches derive from rate and not non-rate, and report peak not base..... they are fudging slightly (but not inaccurately) to show numbers on benchmarks that play into the high BW available to the opty's.... it is a bit misleading.

Jack

Hi Jack,
I went through the links on the page as well and I certainly did get the feeling that its Barcey specs..

specially because of this link http://multicore.amd.com/us-en/quadcore/

Also if you look at the 2nd generation server performance benchmarks, it appears to have a healthy lead over Xeon 7160.

Cheers

T800-101

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Here are some numbers AMD is claiming for Barcelona

AMD also disclosed updated performance projections for its upcoming native Quad-Core AMD Opteron(TM) processors, code-named 'Barcelona.' The new Barcelona projections are based on the latest SPECcpu2006 benchmarks and show that AMD expects to have up to a 50 percent advantage in floating point performance and 20 percent in integer performance over the competition's highest-performing quad-core processor at the same frequency. These results, as well as the latest benchmark tests, based on AMD Opteron Model 2222 and 8222 SE processors can be found at www.amd.com/opteronperformance

If you notice the press release links to the same page.

nitin213

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
These are not Barcey specs, these are the same bogus benchmark figures they published in the WSJ a few weeks back claiming superiority over Intel....

These benches derive from rate and not non-rate, and report peak not base..... they are fudging slightly (but not inaccurately) to show numbers on benchmarks that play into the high BW available to the opty's.... it is a bit misleading.

Jack

Hi Jack,
I went through the links on the page as well and I certainly did get the feeling that its Barcey specs..

specially because of this link http://multicore.amd.com/us-en/quadcore/

Also if you look at the 2nd generation server performance benchmarks, it appears to have a healthy lead over Xeon 7160.

Cheers

Yeah you are right, these are not Barcey specs

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I found some good points in their article:
Saying you’re the “World’s Best Processor” is one thing.
Actually being the “World’s Best Processor” is another.

but hey, this ridiculous BS:
The AMD Opteron™ processor continues to lead the industry in x86 dual-core performance.
preety much destroys all their credibility and reputation.
WTF is wrong with AMD?
Do they think that with blatant lies and BS they can make a good reputation or attract customers?

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I think the problem is that they fool more people than they piss off with ads like that. I mean, you would think that the media would be calling them on the carpet for that one, but no one really has.

T800-101

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
They most certainly fool the weak minded, TB800-101 eats this stuff up and proclaims AMD the next worldly diety. :) .... sometime you just need to shake your head and laugh.

Please show me where at any time did I declare AMD to be "the next worldly diety"

I wouldn't want to accuse you of making shit up.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
i dont think intel is mocking anyone
i think intel is not waiting around. the no benchmark statements are a sign of weakness and i doubt intel is going to wait around.

I was just talking about some of the ironic things. Only one i can think of on top of head is Multicore for dummies. :lol:
Intel are making AMD eat their own words lately.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Gimme a B!
Gimme a E!
Gimme a N!
Gimme a C!
Gimme a H!
Gimme a Y!

What have you got?

THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS!

Gonna be a cold day in Tunisia if the benchys aren't real and they don't stack up.

AMD: Continuing to lead the world in baseless hype and outright BS. :twisted:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
That would be industry leading BS. so true on so many levels.

Hey, Dewd, what do you think about the Tunis demo that was supposed to start exactly three minutes ago?

a) Rigged K10 CPU-Z from a sealed box
b) Rigged R600 from a one-off prototype GPU that will never see production
c) Real, verifiable benchys all the way around
or
d) None of the above

r0ck

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
AMD also disclosed updated performance projections for its upcoming native Quad-Core AMD Opteron(TM) processors, code-named 'Barcelona.' The new Barcelona projections are based on the latest SPECcpu2006 benchmarks and show that AMD expects to have up to a 50 percent advantage in floating point performance and 20 percent in integer performance over the competition's highest-performing quad-core processor at the same frequency.

lol

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
AMD also disclosed updated performance projections for its upcoming native Quad-Core AMD Opteron(TM) processors, code-named 'Barcelona.' The new Barcelona projections are based on the latest SPECcpu2006 benchmarks and show that AMD expects to have up to a 50 percent advantage in floating point performance and 20 percent in integer performance over the competition's highest-performing quad-core processor at the same frequency.

lol

Didn't AMD previously announce that they were gonna max out K10 at 2.5GHz and introduce 2.6GHZ only over a year later?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
That would be industry leading BS. so true on so many levels.

Hey, Dewd, what do you think about the Tunis demo that was supposed to start exactly three minutes ago?

a) Rigged K10 CPU-Z from a sealed box
b) Rigged R600 from a one-off prototype GPU that will never see production
c) Real, verifiable benchys all the way around
or
d) None of the above
e) Secretly stolen penryn oc'd to 4.0ghz with a 8900GTX

I vote e

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
How easy could they fake a cpuz shot and make it read amd? cuz 8O thats a good idea for them. :lol:

How hard can it be to hack CPU-Z and have it show anything you want? I'll bet there are some guys on here that could do that in 20 minutes. 8)

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
How easy could they fake a cpuz shot and make it read amd? cuz 8O thats a good idea for them. :lol:

How hard can it be to hack CPU-Z and have it show anything you want? I'll bet there are some guys on here that could do that in 20 minutes. 8)

It's very easy. Spy++, Wndproc hooks etc.. Or Photoshop if thats your thing :p

salvador

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004

It's very easy. Spy++, Wndproc hooks etc.. Or Photoshop if thats your thing :p

Well then what are you waiting for? Get on it! Haven't you seen AMD's marketing? They sure need all the help they can get.

Perhaps they will show this in Tunis:

chuckcpu0sm.jpg

mwswami

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31729/135/

So far, we the company had claimed that Barcelona will surpass the performance of Clovertown by about 40% at any given clock speed. Now the company says that it believes that Barcelona will have a 50% advantage over Clovertown in floating point applications and 20% in integer performance “over the competition’s highest-performing quad-core processor at the same frequency.”