Sign in with
Your question

USB and card reader won't work anymore

Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2011 4:50:40 PM

I went to plug in a CF card into my system as I do weekly to download pictures and windows says I need to format the card (it is formatted and there are pics on it) when I tried to format the card via windows it won't format the card. When I tried to hook the camera up to the PC using a USB cord it said the same thing. And when I plugged a flash drive into the USB, it also has the same error. Device properties show an exclamation mark by all the drives exceot my hard drive.

Is this most likey a driver issue? If it is, would using my win7 disc and doing an install over the current Win 7 fix the issue? I'm not super technical to trying to fix the USB drivers themselves is not really in the cards. THANKS! =)

More about : usb card reader work anymore

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2011 5:18:05 PM

try uninstalling the usb stuff in device manager one by one--if you are using a usb keyboard and mouse at some point you will lose the use of them--and may need to restart by pressing the reset button

not super technical to do--just right click the devices that say usb and click uninstall--once you have done as many as you can restart the pc and let it go through the found new hardware and installing drivers bit and see if it fixed it

if not try system restore to a point when it was working
m
l
July 29, 2011 5:35:45 PM

I tried the suggestion of uninstalling the usb devices that had the exclamation mark by them. I get an Error 10 message now. system restore was unsuccessful as well...bummer =(
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2011 5:36:06 PM

I tried the suggestion of uninstalling the usb devices that had the exclamation mark by them. I get an Error 10 message now. system restore was unsuccessful as well...bummer =(
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2011 5:51:43 PM

your anti virus can interfere with system restore--try disabling it or run system restore in safe mode if it wont let you disable it--try a couple of different restore points as well as one might not work but another may
m
l
!