how safe? E6600 oc to 3.3g with standard cooling????

TheToad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
hey all just want to know how safe it is to overclock E6600 to 3.3 with standard cooling? cant run TAT because got vista ultimate and is keeps on #$%^ out, so anyone out there know?

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
It depends on what your voltages and temps are like. Is it possible to do it safely? Yes.

If TAT doesn't work use CoreTemp+Orthos. TAT doesn't work for me on XP Pro x64, says "error enumerating on demand clock modulation" or something like that.

By standard do you mean the stock Intel HSF? Unfortunately OCing without temperature monitoring is like shooting in the dark. You can look in the BIOS, but that is a very limited view of the picture. I know that Everest 4.00 works in Vista, there system monitoring actually integrates with Vista's sidebar. Unfortunately it's not free, but it works well. Just my two cents.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
TAT doesn't work for me on XP Pro x64, says "error enumerating on demand clock modulation" or something like that.
I've had the same message. Then I enabled "CPU Thermal Monitor control" in BIOS and TAT runs without any problem.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Hmmm... Ok thanks for the info! I actually think i tried that already but I tried so many things its hard to know for sure.

I will try that and see. Thanks!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
With the stock cooler then you'll have to increase more voltage for that to achieve overclocking because heat causes instability. It's up to you to do that but I recommend you use better cooling like Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a good 120mm fan like FM121. With that cooler, granted you have a good case ventilation as well and other components, you can achieve a much higher overclocking while maintaining voltage and temperature on the safe side.

The stock Intel HSF seems to be pretty good, but I wouldn't go over 3.0 GHz with it.

All chips, even those cut from the same wafer, have small differences in performance. For example, my E6600 will run at 3GHz on less than stock voltage. But I cannot reach 3.6 GHz with any reasonable core voltage with my present cooler. I chose the AC cooler not for economy but because I wasn't sure that anything better (larger) would fit in my case. It's really hard to find what we would call "good" cases here. And if you do, they are about twice what they would cost in the U.S. The AC Pro cooler is an excellent "budget" cooler. Next trip back to the U.S., I will pick up something better (larger), such as a Tuniq or something similar. It will fit.

Whatever you decide to use, and how hard you decide to push, watch your CPU temperatures and case ventilation. More fans do not necessarily equal better cooling.

The stock cooler is good for stock speed and stock voltages. I would say it is good up until you have to bump voltages, then it's time to invest in a cooler. I had a friend who asked the same thing and he said "shut up I know you're right" when i told him my logic.

Why would you buy an e6600 and want to overclock it on the stock cooler and not be able to affort a good one? You could have bought an e6400 (well now an e6420, even better) and got a good cooler for the same or less than an e6600 and overclocked it past what you could acheive on the e6600 on stock cooing?

Just my thoughts. Get a dang cooler dude.

TheToad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
ye I know but at the time of purchasing the E6600 I was a hard core AMD fan and didnt do my research about intels chips, just found out how good they were at the time I brought the chip, but is now running at 3.3gig with standard cooling so it should be fine, thanks for everyones advice though.

...cant run TAT because got vista ultimate and is keeps on #$%^ out, so anyone out there know?
From my experience, in 32-bit Vista you can't run TAT by left clicking the startup program due to the new access control. Try right-clicking the program and select "run as administrator". It should run fine then. I don't know if this applies to 64-bit Vista, though.

TheToad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
dude ive tried that, ive even gone into the properties changing security levels and stuff but everytime I open it it opens for 1 sec and then closes, $%^# knows whats up with it but need to find a program for 64 bit that can read my overclocked speed and can stress test it so I will know if its safe, will try someother recomended programs so long though, shot for help