Core 2 Duo - Which should I buy: E6300 or E6320?

These processors are about the most I can afford with my new build.
I was set on the E6300, but then saw the E6320...

I ran a comparison of them:
Comparison of E6300 / E6320

They seem about the same apart from the 6320 has 4Mb L2 Cache and the 6300 only has 2Mb. The price is essentially the same (£107 / £111)

On the face of it I'd go for the E6320 as it has more L2 Cache, but would I notice the difference for gaming?

Would I lose some of the OC potential of the E6300 if I went for the 6320, or is it exactly the same but with a bigger cache?

Any thoughts please?
15 answers Last reply
More about core e6300 e6320
  1. No question. Go for the 6320.

Better performance, same price. Overclocking shouldn't be any different.
  2. I'm not even sure why they're the same price, since the E6320 is obviously the better CPU. I doubt you'd lose any overclock headroom either.

If you intend to overclock the E6320, make you you get a mobo that can handle ~500FSB (Gigabyte 965P DS3 is a cheap and popular option), and memory to match (which means DDR2-1000, or good quality DDR2-800 that overclocks well).
  3. I would assume that the bigger cache would give you a nice speed increase while also keeping you from upgrading for a little bit longer. Then again, I'm no CPU guru :cry: . I'm just using logic here.

I see no reason why you shouldn't get the 6320 over the 6300.
  4. The extra cache brings a few extra % in performance, nothing major, not enough to be the difference when deciding on an upgrade. Still, it's nice to have that little boost in performance. ;)
  5. Thanks for the points everyone. I guess it confirms what I thought but I'm getting nervous, as I'm getting to the point when I press 'buy' on my purchases!

This is what I'm proposing to get; please let me know if you see any problems with compatibility with the 6320!

ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFI (£114)
    Core 2 Duo E6320 (£111)
    Connect3D Radeon X1950XT (£147)
    Corsair (TWIN2X2048-6400) XMS2-6400 2048MB 5-5-5-12 2X240 DIMM Black XMS2 Heat Spreader (£110)
    Coolermaster 600W PSU (£63)
    TOTAL = £541
    (I'm trying to keep close to £500)

I'm looking to keep the following components of my current (AGP based) system:
    Viewsonic VP2030b Monitor
    Jeantech Phong Case
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Hard Drive
    Pioneer DVR-111DSV DVD writer
    ASUS 52x CD burner
    Creative X-FI Gamer Sound Card
  6. I think a 8800GTS 320MB would be a better buy than the X1950XT. How much do they go for in pounds?

While Corsair RAM is good, I think the G.Skill line of DDR2-800 is better value. The G.Skill DDR2-800 HZ series are legendary for their overclocking prowess at 2/3 the price of more popular 'brand' names.
  7. That seems like a nice monitor; what resolution are you planning on using? (I assume it's the 16x12 native res).

One last thing; what do you usually play/ want to play?
  8. An 8800GTS 320MB is around £200 from what I can find - a bit out of my price range, I'm afraid.

The way I'm looking at it, I'll go for the (cheaper) X1950XT knowing that it's a great card but doesn't support DX10... wait for Vista / DX10 to settle down and a few games to appear using it... upgrade to a DX10 card in a year or so. My main target right now is to get over onto PCI-E from my current AGP setup - it's a big update and big cost!

I'll have another look at the G.Skill memory; I did have a look at that before, but couldn't find anywhere in the UK which stocked it and had it in stock.

I do like my monitor! Although it's not widescreen, it's very clear and good quality colour. I had to replace my first unit as it had a dead pixel straight out of the box (about a year ago), but since getting it replaced it's worked perfectly. I try to use it in 1600x1200 but my current hardware struggles at that with some games; I'm looking for my new setup to support that!

I'm playing NWN2, BF2142 and Oblivion at the moment. (Although I'm looking forward to Crysis!)
  9. Quote:
    I'm not even sure why they're the same price, since the E6320 is obviously the better CPU. I doubt you'd lose any overclock headroom either.

If you intend to overclock the E6320, make you you get a mobo that can handle ~500FSB (Gigabyte 965P DS3 is a cheap and popular option), and memory to match (which means DDR2-1000, or good quality DDR2-800 that overclocks well).

Well cache really doesn't affect performance that much, from what i've read you are looking at 2% improvement. So, yes the E6320 is better, but the difference isn't perceivable. Given the lack of price disparity, I would go 6320 as well.
  10. I think the more cache will also mean more heat, but I might be wrong.
  11. Quote:
    I think the more cache will also mean more heat, but I might be wrong.

It does, you are correct, but not enough to materially alter overclocking. My best guess is 100Mhz on the worst side, but more likely around 60MHz. Do I have any data for this? Nope, just my intuition and the fact the 6600 scale just as well as 6300.
  12. NovaThunder; I did look at the 8600 (which is about £150 in the UK for the BFG Model, but I saw a review on Custom PC which says it didn't perform on DX9 as well as the X1950XT.

I know it supports DX10, but I can't help feeling that I'm not likely to want DX10 for (say) a year, so I'd rather concentrate on maxing out my quality / power for DX9 now and upgrade the GPU in a year's time to a good DX10 one then. They're bound to be a lot cheaper and more powerful then!
  13. Quote:
    I'm not even sure why they're the same price, since the E6320 is obviously the better CPU. I doubt you'd lose any overclock headroom either.

Well cache really doesn't affect performance that much, from what i've read you are looking at 2% improvement. So, yes the E6320 is better, but the difference isn't perceivable. Given the lack of price disparity, I would go 6320 as well.

It's a bit more than 2%, around 3.5% on average (yes I'm nitpicking :P) though in certain cases (like video encoding) the difference can be as large as 10%.
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=4
  14. Seems hard to believe that 2Mb extra cash does not do a whole lot. Cost wise, in this case its nothing. But in the past like when I bought my laptop that extra 1 or 2 MB cache was a lot more than 4 bucks. Of course that was Dell pricing. I guess in the end its a marketing ploy. FYI, I went with the e6420 :)
  15. Meh, you are right. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cache