Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I just build a computer and tonight i installed XP Pro SP2 on it. I updated all my drivers. Haven't downloaded anything.

The OS seems very sluggish. i.e. screen locking up. clicking on START button and having a 3-4 sec delay before it comes up.

any ideas?

sturm

Splendid
check device manager for any yellow or red marks.

Whats your temps? Could be overheating.

try a fresh install and see if the problem still happens before installing any drivers. If not install one driver at a time with a reboot inbetween. Start out with the drivers off the motherboard cd first to install the chipset, intergrated nic (if using one), integrated audio (if using). Then install video drivers. Next install drivers for anyother hardware you have one at a time.
Keep track of when it starts getting slow. Thats the driver or hardware thats causing the problem.

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
my temps are about 30c after a couple days of straight running according to bios.

im going to try a fresh install.

one other thing, if i have a sounds card and a winreless pci card do i need to install the drivers to the mobo for the integrated sound and onboad lan? could that be causing problems?

can i disable the onboard lan device in bios??

thx again, ill post my findings.

sturm

Splendid
If your not using any onboard devices, disable them in the bios before installing windows.

Second thing to remember and do is to not install any add-on cards like sound, nic, raid - unless booting off it, untill after windows is loaded.
Once windows is loaded and all other drivers are installed then put in your add-on cards one at a time.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
ctrl + alt + delete here tell me how many processes you got running (it will say the number at the bottom of the processes window ;) )

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm very familiar with what the app will do, and I can see you got some knowledge however his number of processes can give us an idea to bother with hijackthis or not ;)

in short before we bother with details of processes lets see if we need to bother with them to begin with.

It was just an idea to move along I was not speaking over you if you will I was just speaking with you ;) he could have told us that in the time it took him to download the app.

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
at startup i had 19 processes running.
the bottom one on the list shows a number fluxuating from 90-99.

also in device manager, after installing drivers from cd, it shows my video driver as a yellow question mark.

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a little application that shows you what is actively running in live time it may show you things you may not of known are running in an easier way to decide if certain processes are hanging http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cprocess.html also check your event viewer an see if there are some errors that may help you fix them its in the control panel under computer management utility.

untitled1cy2.jpg

ok got cureprocess running. it shows 21 processes and 39 modules. nothing seems to be out of the ordinary to me.

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Yellow question mark means that the device isnt recognized correctly "wrong driver". For your video its not always the newest driver nor the one that came with the card that is neccesarily the best one. I usually compare online with otjer machines running the same or similar hardware as mine useing 3DMark to get a score whomevers driver gets the best score I try and rebenchmark. You can get it here http://www.futuremark.com/download/

untitled1cy2.jpg

i finally found the correct driver. didnt seem to affect my perormance any, if at all.