Notebook HDDs Deluxe: 160 GB by Fujitsu, Seagate, Toshiba

Seagate's new Momentus 7200.2 aims to rule the 2.5" hard drive world.
7 answers Last reply
More about notebook hdds deluxe fujitsu seagate toshiba
  1. Check the comparison table. The capacity of the Seagate drive is incorrect (120 instead of 160).
  2. Quote:
    The Momentus 7200.2 reached an amazing data transfer date of almost 60 MB/s and an average transfer rate of 45 MB/s. This is as fast as the maximum speed of many 5,400 RPM drives.

If it's so amazing, why is it lapped by a slower drive?! Oh, did you mean 5400RM 3.5" drives? Well, now you're comparing laptops and desktops, only the insane would do that. Fix your article before you get pwned by n00bs.

Next prick thing: Your comparison table also doesn't list the 160GB drives as available capacities. If they're not available, then wtf are you testing?
  3. It's high time they bumped up the notebook drive offering - 100GB 7200RPM was just not cutting it any more.

It would be nice if they had a 160GB 7200RPM model with PATA interface for older laptops, assuming you don't have a cursed machine with a BIOS that limits your hard drive size to <128GB. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Keep in mind as well that Dell now ships some laptops with 250GB 5400RPM drives. I would like to see how those perform (in RAID 0).

Many newer laptops, especially the smaller screen format ones from Fujitsu, aren't even using 2.5" drives any more - they've moved over to the 1.8" format. But current 1.8" drives top out at 100GB 4200RPM. I have read that PMR technology could push that up to 160GB, if manufacturers took the route.

I am curious to see when the next big performance/capacity leap for 1.8" drives comes, or if manufacturers will abandon 1.8" hard drive advancement altogether and move over to cheaper SSD technology. It could happen that 1.8" drives may face the same fate as the old microdrive from IBM. That had it's nails hammered into its coffin thanks to flash drives of all kinds.
  4. I’m a believer in highest RPM speeds possible (to paraphrase the real estate mantra, its rotation, rotation, rotation). When I bought my first laptop, the model with the features I wanted didn’t offer a 7200 RPM hard drive and I didn’t need the more expensive model. So, having seen the difference that 7200 RPM made in my desktops, I immediately replaced the hard drive with a 7200 RPM model and saved a bundle.

I have an issue, though, with complaints about inadequate capacity. For the vast majority of users, 100G is ridiculous overkill even in a desktop. Yes, if you are a “real” artist or professional in the graphics or music biz it might be a problem. So, get a USB/firewire external drive and be happy. If an extra 2.5” drive will do it then you can get the smaller case (or 2) and power it via the USB port. This is very handy and easy to carry around.
  5. Quote:
    For the vast majority of users, 100G is ridiculous overkill

Let me put some numbers out there for you:

Most current mainstream games come on either multiple CD's or a DVD and can take upto 5GB of space to install. Put just a dozen on your box and you can already chew through 30-50GB on your drive.
    Use Alcohol 120% and that number increases dramatically.

The average DVD movie takes up between 4.3 and 7.9GB. Load just three on your machine and you are already at 13GB.

A SINGLE full-length 1080p HD movie will eat up 25GB minimum.

Convert a MODEST collection of 1200 songs to various MP3 and WMA bitrates and you are at 4.3GB.

Just ONE 12.4 megapixel photo will take up about 5.4MB. How fat is your photo album?

Converting home videos to DVD? For every hour of footage you need around 4GB of space on your hard drive. Oh, I'm sorry, you have the newest "HD" camcorder! Make that 20GB.

Creating professional marketing materials in PSD, PDF, CDR, CPT, TIFF, JPG and other file formats? I ate through my 160GB drive at work in just 6 months! And that was back in 2003.

Do you regularly back-up your hard drive to another drive? Run two sets of full-backups every other Sunday and incremental backups at the end of each weekday? Try that routine with a laptop that has its 100GB drive full and you will find your roomy 400GB external USB drive isn't so roomy any more.

I also travel a lot which means a laptop for me is a necessity, and I cannot carry an extra 10lbs of gear like DVD's and CD's, external USB drives, cables, AC adapters, etc.. I am lucky I can already have my laptop, cellphone, digital camera and camcorder with me at all times.

Seriously, for email, surfing, word documents and playing freecell, you'll never need a drive bigger than 20GB.

Do you want to do REAL work with your computer? Because "for the vast majority of users", as you put it, who DO real work with their PC's, small hard drives have been a PITA for years.

No offense to you, I just don't think you quite understand how much space so many things can take up on hard drives today, especially when you need to take it with you on a laptop.
  6. I wish they did the test on the 250gb hard drive. Dell and Alienware have it.

I was aiming for space not speed. Running two os and 10,000 songs.

Here what I have right now

http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdtunebenchmarksamsunghll1.png

System
    Alienware
    core 2 dual 2.33ghz
    2gb of ram
    250gb hard disk. Listed in the url.
    3 Partions 77.6gb each
    C:\Windows xp pro
    D:\Windows vista Buisness
    E:\10,000 Mp3
  7. 300 GB Notebook Drives!!!

Of course, they were supposed to be available in February! Technical difficulties, I guess.

That 7200 rpm hard drive is pretty insane, though.

I'm pretty sure that 250 GB drive you are talking about is not normal height, as Dell doesn't make it available on their thinner XPS m1210 lappie.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Seagate Notebooks Fujitsu Toshiba Storage