System Restore query

April 25, 2005 10:30:38 AM

I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can this be
changed to encompass a longer period?
Blair

More about : system restore query

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:39:18 AM

Hi Blair,

How long a restore point is kept depends on many factors. The amount of disk
space allotted to it (12% is the max) and the size of each determine how
many are kept. Also critical to this is the frequency at which they are
being created. More info on System Restore from MVP Bert Kinney:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can this
>be
> changed to encompass a longer period?
> Blair

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:05:43 PM

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can this be
>changed to encompass a longer period?

You can increase the disk space that SR uses in the Control Panel >
System > System Restore > Settings.
Also see "Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796).

--
(tm)
April 25, 2005 12:09:08 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 06:30:38 +0100, Blair wrote:

> I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can this be
> changed to encompass a longer period?
> Blair

System Restore is designed as a "short term" tool. I rarely restore further
back than a week's time. If you are looking for a way to preserve older
"snapshots" of the system, consider alternatives such as drive imaging
software. I use Image for Windows from www.terabyteunlimited.com but there
are many such programs to choose from.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can this
> be
> changed to encompass a longer period?
> Blair

I can't conceive of why you would want to restore from farther back.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can
this
> > be
> > changed to encompass a longer period?
> > Blair
>
> I can't conceive of why you would want to restore from farther back.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
You are right. I was not thinking properly. I just seem to remember that
when I looked at restore previously it went back several months.
I don't need to restore but it was idle curiosity!
I have Acronis True Image in any case!
Blair
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:22:18 AM

I believe the limit is 90 days, but the Restore file usually fills up in a
matter of weeks.

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > "Blair" <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> > > I noticed that System Restore only seems to keep one month back. Can
> this
> > > be
> > > changed to encompass a longer period?
> > > Blair
> >
> > I can't conceive of why you would want to restore from farther back.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> You are right. I was not thinking properly. I just seem to remember that
> when I looked at restore previously it went back several months.
> I don't need to restore but it was idle curiosity!
> I have Acronis True Image in any case!
> Blair

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:30:49 AM

Hi T. Waters,

The number of days System Restore keeps restore points is 90 day, by
default. This can be changed via the registry or by script.

The number of hours an automatic restore point is created is 24, by
default. This can also be changed via the registry or by script.

System Restore scripts.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/tips.html#Rein...

--
Regards,