Hi all,

first my system spec's;

Intel c2d 6700
asus p5w dh deluxe
2 gb ram (kingston)
xfx 8800gtx
psu: coolermaster igreen 600w

Need anything else?

Now the problem: I can't play any game at all without problems.
Half life 2 starts "artefacting" after a few seconds until the screen is all black or gray and sometimes switches back to a great display for 1 second ;-( , glitches in oblivion, ...
I tried everything: new drivers (first removing with drivercleaner), bought new psu, flashed mobo-bios, even took image of disk and reinstalled => this gave a better result but then the screen freezes and I can only pull the plug. So I put the old image back. I left my case open and put a huge fan before the card and I installed the new directx...
I really don't know what else I can do.
Can anybody help me?

grtz
johan

edit: I already got another card from the shop, so this is my 2nd with the same problems.
April 23, 2007 12:54:39 PM

which drivers are u using
April 23, 2007 12:57:22 PM

Here is what id do:

1. Turn PC off. remove all IDE devices except your primary HDD

2. Remove 8800 and re seat it in the PCI E slot, make sure it is FULLY in...give it a good push.

3. Boot PC in SAFE Mode. if you get a stable screen then you need to reboot in 800x600 16 bit colour.

4. REBOOT.

5. If it does not get this far then id say you have a faulty card...even if it is number two.

6. If it gets to the desktop and doesnt dsiplay artifacts you can raise the resolution to whatever you want it to be and see if it works.

My guess is it wont though as it is probably faulty.

If it does work all OK, then attach the other devices one by one. SLAVE HDD if you have one, and then the opticals.

Just do that then get an RMA number for your card and also swap brand on the next one as they may have a faulty batch.

Let me know how it goes!

M
Related resources
April 23, 2007 1:02:10 PM

I've used every driver from 97.xx until the latest I downloaded yesterday.

Does it matter I don't have any IDE hard disks? Only S-ATA...
I'll try to follow the steps you just described and I'll let you know tonight if it works.
rgds
J.
April 23, 2007 1:13:17 PM

Sounds like either a 2nd dodgy card, or a dodgy PSU.

Any chance of you testing with a different PSU?
April 23, 2007 1:16:07 PM

OUCH!!!Sounds like a bad memory problem.RMA it as soon as possible and get another one.If this problem persists,take it back for a full refund and purchase one from another manufacturer.I recommend EVGA.I have yet to have a problem with one of their cards.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471
April 23, 2007 1:20:48 PM

Hmmm ... artifacts ? That sucks ... don't throw away though, I'll buy it off you ...
April 23, 2007 1:31:57 PM

Hi,

Have you tried checking your system and GPU temps to make sure that this isn't overheating your card? I realise you have put the extra fan in and left the side of the case off, but there is a small chance it could still be running too hot.

You could also try underclocking the GPU to see if that improves it. I get similar sort of artifacts if I overclock my GPU too high, so try and underclock it to see if that improves anything. (Not that you'll want to leave it like that with it being an 8800GTX!!)

Just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Baz
April 23, 2007 1:33:23 PM

I've had exactly the same issue with a XFX 7900GTX... I took it back and the gave me a new card.. However, the 2nd card was artifacting like crazy, but not as bad as the first card. So i took it back again, and they replaced it with another XFX 7900GTX...

Only then did everything work properly.

Judging by your problems, id say you have to get a new card
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2007 1:36:08 PM

Hate to say it, but looks like you need to exchange that card for yet another one. Maybe 3rd times a charm?
April 23, 2007 2:06:36 PM

Yikes... Seems like quite a few people in this thread is/was having some sort of problem with XFX.
April 23, 2007 2:06:55 PM

Left field reply-

Check your RAM voltage in the bios, some of the stuff needs about 2.0 (up from the 1.8 stock) to perform well under stress.

I went through 3 MB's prior to getting anything to stabilize with my 8800 GTX, and the upped ram voltage solved it for me.
April 23, 2007 5:16:00 PM

Quote:

Sounds like either a 2nd dodgy card, or a dodgy PSU.

Any chance of you testing with a different PSU?

This is my third PSU... first one Hiper R 580 W, second: chieftec 420w and now the coolermaster 600w which should be okay according to some other forums...
April 23, 2007 5:21:26 PM

While it does happen, its is uncommon to get a faulty replacement video card. Have you started a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com? If not please do so and PM me your ticket number. Also list your fully system specs in your ticket and I will team with my support staff to get this resolved right away for you.

XFX Support
April 23, 2007 5:56:49 PM

Quote:
Left field reply-

Check your RAM voltage in the bios, some of the stuff needs about 2.0 (up from the 1.8 stock) to perform well under stress.

I went through 3 MB's prior to getting anything to stabilize with my 8800 GTX, and the upped ram voltage solved it for me.

Well that was a ram issue then which has nothing to do with a 8800GTX.

System worked fine with a 7900 GTO, but when I moved to the 8800, started crashing, and continued through other MBs, but went rock solid after upping the ram voltage to 2.0.

Solved my 8800 GTX problems.
April 23, 2007 6:29:27 PM

Quote:
While it does happen, its is uncommon to get a faulty replacement video card. Have you started a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com? If not please do so and PM me your ticket number. Also list your fully system specs in your ticket and I will team with my support staff to get this resolved right away for you.

XFX Support

I received a ticket at xfx, still waiting for a response! I sent it saturday afternoon.

Quote:
Here is what id do:

1. Turn PC off. remove all IDE devices except your primary HDD

2. Remove 8800 and re seat it in the PCI E slot, make sure it is FULLY in...give it a good push.

3. Boot PC in SAFE Mode. if you get a stable screen then you need to reboot in 800x600 16 bit colour.

4. REBOOT.

5. If it does not get this far then id say you have a faulty card...even if it is number two.

6. If it gets to the desktop and doesnt dsiplay artifacts you can raise the resolution to whatever you want it to be and see if it works.

My guess is it wont though as it is probably faulty.

If it does work all OK, then attach the other devices one by one. SLAVE HDD if you have one, and then the opticals.

Just do that then get an RMA number for your card and also swap brand on the next one as they may have a faulty batch.

Let me know how it goes!

M

Tried this, doesn't work :( 

Quote:
Left field reply-

Doesn't work either....
April 23, 2007 9:17:05 PM

Ewwww! I know exactly what it is and what you need to do.

1. Turn off and unplug your computer.
2. unplug power connectors from video card.
3. Remove screws holding card in your computer case.
4. Pull card out computer tower.
5. Box Card up.
6. Mail or take card back to place of purchase.
7. Get a different brand of card.
April 23, 2007 9:43:50 PM

I have the same card, I had the exact same problem and the reason behind my problem was bad airflow in my case and it was overheating.
I bought a new case and problem solved.
April 23, 2007 10:30:36 PM

7900's have a huge overheating problem, so that might be your problem
April 23, 2007 11:12:00 PM

I see that you stated you made a ticket, but please let me know the ticket number.

XFX Support
April 26, 2007 8:06:08 AM

I'm bringing my entire pc back to the shop on saturday...
I'll let you guys know when I have it back...
April 30, 2007 5:30:29 AM

is your graphics card working? wanna sell it to me?
April 30, 2007 9:02:03 AM

hi i will try to help here

Troubleshoot the problem :
1- use the card on ur friends pc and if it works go on with ur ram on ur friend's etc ......that's a good way to know where's the problem coming from

btw if the old card still working i would like to buy it "i'm buying new pc "
May 7, 2007 10:15:20 AM

was a broken card... received a new one! works perfectly!
3rd time, good time...
May 7, 2007 10:50:33 AM

Quote:
was a broken card... received a new one! works perfectly!
3rd time, good time...
I'd say that that company has had many people rma their cards I would be worried to buy from them. I remember people here saying the same thing, xfx sucks. Wonder how long it will last until it starts acting up.
May 7, 2007 12:26:19 PM

I've had multiple XFX cards and they were some of the better quality cards that I've owned. Great OC potential and looks excellent. They also have a double lifetime warranty.
!