Use as remote desktop?

July 18, 2005 1:48:07 AM

Can this OS+device (PDA) be used as a remote desktop for a server?

LLoyd

More about : remote desktop

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 1:48:08 AM

"Lloyd Langham" <llangham@hillcrestfoods.com> wrote:

>Can this OS+device (PDA) be used as a remote desktop for a server?

Sure. Start|Programs|Terminal Servers Client. Just connect like you
would with your Remote Desktop Client on your PC.
July 18, 2005 3:34:17 PM

Also you may find VNC more convenient for your needs.

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
July 18, 2005 3:34:18 PM

In my experience VNC has always been very slllooooowwww on my iPAQs...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D bg17l$e4$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> Also you may find VNC more convenient for your needs.
>
> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>> "Lloyd Langham" <llangham@hillcrestfoods.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Can this OS+device (PDA) be used as a remote desktop for a server?
>>
>> Sure. Start|Programs|Terminal Servers Client. Just connect like you
>> would with your Remote Desktop Client on your PC.
>> --

> ______
>> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of
>> all)
>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:34:18 PM

"dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Also you may find VNC more convenient for your needs.

VNC requires much more bandwidth and the installation of extra
services on Windows 2000 servers, Windows 2003 servers and Windows XP
Pro boxes. All three of those systems have terminal services built in.

>"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
><spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
>> "Lloyd Langham" <llangham@hillcrestfoods.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Can this OS+device (PDA) be used as a remote desktop for a server?
>>
>> Sure. Start|Programs|Terminal Servers Client. Just connect like you
>> would with your Remote Desktop Client on your PC.
>> --

>______
>> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
>> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
>> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

July 19, 2005 6:34:34 PM

I did say *may* - it all depends what you want to do.

> "dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Also you may find VNC more convenient for your needs.
>
> VNC requires much more bandwidth and the installation of extra
> services on Windows 2000 servers, Windows 2003 servers and Windows XP
> Pro boxes. All three of those systems have terminal services built in.
>
> >"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
> ><spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message

> >> Sure. Start|Programs|Terminal Servers Client. Just connect like you
> >> would with your Remote Desktop Client on your PC.
> >> --

_
> >______
> >> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of
all)
> >> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> >> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> >> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:55:24 AM

"dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I did say *may* - it all depends what you want to do.

I know. I just wanted to point out the downsides to VNC before someone
installed it. I have VNC here on some Windows 2000 Pro boxes. It works
well on a PC, but I only use it when I *have* to from my Pocket PC,
especially over GPRS, which is brutal.
July 20, 2005 4:24:17 PM

Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
> "dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I did say *may* - it all depends what you want to do.
>

> I know. I just wanted to point out the downsides to VNC before someone
> installed it. I have VNC here on some Windows 2000 Pro boxes. It works
> well on a PC, but I only use it when I *have* to from my Pocket PC,
> especially over GPRS, which is brutal.

I once had to stop/start the print spooler on a Win2K server using my
PDA and VNC while the passenger in a car travelling along a motorway at
about 70 miles per hour and via a mobile phone dial-up link (9600bps,
not GPRS!).

We got there in the end and the client was most impressed!
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:14:31 PM

Linker3000 <linker3000@youkaytwodotnetuk2.net> wrote:

>Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
>> "dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>I did say *may* - it all depends what you want to do.
>>

>> I know. I just wanted to point out the downsides to VNC before someone
>> installed it. I have VNC here on some Windows 2000 Pro boxes. It works
>> well on a PC, but I only use it when I *have* to from my Pocket PC,
>> especially over GPRS, which is brutal.
>
>I once had to stop/start the print spooler on a Win2K server using my
>PDA and VNC while the passenger in a car travelling along a motorway at
>about 70 miles per hour and via a mobile phone dial-up link (9600bps,
>not GPRS!).

I feel your pain! I've done VNC via a similar connection back before
GPRS was available. Bleh. Worse than watching paint dry.