Sign in with
Your question

WTF, THIS COMP IS PLAGUED WITH PROBLEMS!!

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2007 2:38:32 PM

I built my computer back in January, didn't have too many problems even though it was my first build. It worked great for about a month until the vid card failed and I had to RMA it. I never overclocked the GPU, only cpu, so it wasn't my fault. So it took a few weeks and a couple more to get the card from dad after he receieved it plus $90 is duties, but i got it back. I put it together and formatted and everything, all was well.

So, the only thing I noticed that wasn't working was limewire, however i wasn't too concerned since its not vital. However yesterday i finally got pissed off enough to put some effort into figuring out why it wasn't working. I figured the only way it could not be initializing, according to the horrible help, was that a firewall was blocking it, so i turned off windows firewall, but found out there was another firewall, activearmor, which from a search seems to be from Nvidia. So i went to turn that off, but had to go into network settings to do it. I changed the setting, I thought, and tried to start limewire, no luck. Instead, my internet shut off and i couldn't restart it, and i couldn't change the setting back.

So i figured the only way to fix it was to system restore, which had a checkpoint the day before. So I did that, and let it go though its long proccess, and finally it finished and brought up the windows log in screen. So i click my name and BAM!, BSOD and pin'k, off, restarts. I'm like wtf? So i let it restart and go back to the log in. Try to log in again, and BAM BSOD again. So i try loading another account, and this one lasted a bit longer, it actually loaded the desktop and then BSOD.

So ya, I can't figure out wtf is wrong with it. I hope its not a vid card problem again but there is something seriously wrong.

I also want to avoid reformatting if i can, because i ended up doing that for no reason last time, when it was really a vid card failure.
April 23, 2007 2:44:09 PM

Try reinstalling Windows over your old install. Don't format though. Just install Windows and when it asks what drive to install on, choose the one with your old Windows. It'll say there's a previous installation of Windows on the drive and that's okay. Just make sure it installs leaving your file system intact and not reformatting.

But it's been a while since I did that so I can't remember details.

edit: oh and don't install the nVidia firewall stuff, it's terrible.
April 23, 2007 2:50:21 PM

your talking about a repair? -- yeah, a quick fix

Active armor is actually pretty good stuff, I used it on all my NF4 boards.
I still have my Ultra-D laying around here somewhere, and when that was being used, I never had a confliction between it and limewire. However your profile might be different. you need to allow internet access to java applications and only set your level to medium at the most ( I always had it on anti-hacking)

try repairing your windows installation; and if that doesnt work we'll take it from there.
Related resources
April 23, 2007 2:56:21 PM

Quote:
your talking about a repair? -- yeah, a quick fix

Active armor is actually pretty good stuff, I used it on all my NF4 boards.
I still have my Ultra-D laying around here somewhere, and when that was being used, I never had a confliction between it and limewire. However your profile might be different. you need to allow internet access to java applications and only set your level to medium at the most ( I always had it on anti-hacking)

try repairing your windows installation; and if that doesnt work we'll take it from there.

OK, I'll try that. I'm jus paranoid about a vid card failure, since its doing the same shit it did before it died last time.

PS. How do i get rid of activearmor?

EDIT: I just found this on Microsoft's site, I'm not sure if its relevant...

MS Support
April 23, 2007 3:39:28 PM

To answer your limewire question, look in C:\Program Files\Java, and see what JRE version you have. Limewire hasn't been compiled in compliance with the new JDK, so 1.6.0 will not allow it to work. You need to be using 1.5.0.(type java -v in command prompt).

Which nVidia motherboard are you using? What I did was I looked in eventvwr.msc in run, and noticed that DCOM+ was causing a lot of errors. My computer would blue screen a lot, but when I uninstalled the nVidia networking drivers, it stopped bluescreening and giving me that error. I haven't blue screened a single time since.
April 23, 2007 3:40:50 PM

get rid of active armor?

nv tray... or control panel or just delete the file.... I wouldnt recommend the final.

question? in the journey to oc your cpu, you didnt mess with teh pci-e voltage or frequency did you? once you tinker with a bios, you can damage just about anything you want...
April 24, 2007 2:13:03 AM

OK, people, I'm in safe mode with networking, thats the only way i can load windows. It is still BSOD after i click a log in.

So I tried repair in windows ste up and have no idea wtf I'm supposed to do, its all command prompt. I'm gonna try that microsoft command there to see if that works. BRB.

PS. To the guy above raven, I have an asus crosshair mobo, like in my sig.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2007 2:29:15 AM

Don't use the Repair Console. When Windows first loads from the CD, and gives you the option to repair using the recovery console, at that point go on to new installation. Windows will detect your previous version, and ask again if you want to do a new installation, or repair your current installation. From THAT piont choose to repair. Windows will run and appear to do a complete install, but won't erase your programs or change any of your settings, just refresh your current install.
April 24, 2007 2:48:32 AM

Quote:
Don't use the Repair Console. When Windows first loads from the CD, and gives you the option to repair using the recovery console, at that point go on to new installation. Windows will detect your previous version, and ask again if you want to do a new installation, or repair your current installation. From THAT piont choose to repair. Windows will run and appear to do a complete install, but won't erase your programs or change any of your settings, just refresh your current install.

Ok thanks, I didn't know that. I tried the system restore microsoft command and it failed just like the past few time in normal mode. I'll try that and get back to you.
April 24, 2007 3:48:41 AM

OK, i did the repair install and it seems to have worked, altough it is still acting strange. First it took forever to load the first time, with many many errors and most start up programs failing. Then it was in like safe mode resolution and colours. So the second load worked better although still kinda slow and some errors. I'll see what the third load will be like.

I have another weird problem. It seems to have quintupled (X5) all my files, ALLL!!!. Even shortcuts. WTF?
April 24, 2007 12:39:03 PM

Are you having random shut-downs or a loss of detection of mass storage devices in the bios?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2007 12:45:41 PM

That sounds strange?
You will need to reload all of your 3rd party device drivers as well, like for your video card. If that does not fix it, it's time to do a new complete reinstall I'm afraid. Your old XP install sounds like it may just be too far gone to save and get everything working correctly.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 24, 2007 1:17:50 PM

Reinstall all of your device drivers, motherboard and chipset drivers, etc.
Also, if you let windows update its self, you will have to let it download and reinstall any updates it has done.
April 24, 2007 2:14:03 PM

Quote:
Reinstall all of your device drivers, motherboard and chipset drivers, etc.
Also, if you let windows update its self, you will have to let it download and reinstall any updates it has done.

I think all my drivers are fine, but there have been some problems with corruption. The one i already fixed was with IE. It would give me this, "cannot find lookup key" or something, but i fixed that already by reinstaling IE.

I was wrong about the x5 all files. Its just shortcuts and links and such. But still very annoying. It took so long to load because everything in startup was loading 5 times...
April 24, 2007 2:21:32 PM

Do you have another hard drive on which to install a new copy of Windows so you don't have to overwrite your old stuff yet?

Sounds like your next step should be calling a priest to perform an exorcism.
April 24, 2007 2:32:21 PM

Quote:
Do you have another hard drive on which to install a new copy of Windows so you don't have to overwrite your old stuff yet?

Sounds like your next step should be calling a priest to perform an exorcism.

LOLOL

No, i wish i had another HD. I might see if i can go get one soon.
April 24, 2007 3:34:32 PM

Just a suggestion: If you don't have another hard drive handy, you could always install the OS on another partition, just to figure out if it's a hardware or software problem.

If you don't have more than one partition on the Hard drive, download "Hiren's Boot CD" and use one of the partition programs to shrink your main partition so that you can add another, then install the OS on that one. When you boot up you will see a boot manager screen asking which one you want to boot to, so just choose the second installation.

If the new installation works fine, then it's possible that the recovery image is corrupt.

If you still have a problem, then I would guess that you have a hardware problem, possibly the video card, RAM (Memory Tests will not always detect a problem), or Power Supply. The easiest way to troubleshoot those, is to swap them out with parts that you know are good. You'll have to do a lot of driver uninstall/reinstall repetition, but it's a sure fire way to find the culprit. You may need to use a driver cleaner each time, just to keep things neat.

It's possible that you have bad sectors on your hard drive, in which case all is not lost, yet. You can borrow another hard drive and put yours in slave, just so you can get your files. Then, burn the files you want to save on a DVD or CD. If you can't borrow another Hard drive, you could always boot to a Linux Live CD and mount your hard drive, then burn a CD from the command line.

Not everyone has extra parts laying around, but if you are frequent to these boards, then I assume that you build your own and must have an extra computer available. If you don't have an extra computer to borrow parts from, then maybe you have a friend that will loan you parts temporarily, until you figure out what is going on.

I hope this advice has been useful to you.

Cheers!

Hamarabi
!