shutdown problems

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hi all,

just wondered whether you could help me on a problem i've been having since quite some time. The problem is that half of the times i shut down my computer, it hangs. I just get a blue screen with the windows xp logo, where you should normally see "windows is saving your settings", and "windows is shutting down".

I'm quite sure this is caused by some software, since i have the same problem on all the PC's at home. (I've installed about the same programs on all of them). If it is a software issue, it is likely to be caused by either zonealarm or McAffee Virusscan 8.0i.
However, i don't really know what to do about it... Any help?

My system is as follows:

Windows Xp home, SP2
intel core 2 duo E6600
2 GB Corsair DDR2-800
Seagate 320GB, 7200.16
Sapphire X1900XT 256

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Get rid of the McAfee altogether- very buggy. Also, absolutely no good to have two AV's going together if you have ZA doing that as well. If you're just using it for the free firewall - get the AV package by itself (comes with the firewall) - 2years for $30. Ed likes Nod32; take a look at that as well.

I've got all my personal & commercial businesses using Zone Alarm Anti-Virus with perfect results. No shutdown woes at all with over 440 comps.

After you deep-six Mc, go to Start - Run - (type in) msconfig. Inside the Startup tab, disable everything except Zone Alarm - I guarantee you ZA is not your problem.

Reboot - let everything settle down - shut down.

IF IT STILL HANGS:

You've got corruption. Three things to do:
1. Run ZA av in Safe Mode.
2. In normal boot, go out to webroot.com and get the free SpySweeper scan - it's the best on the market today.
3. If you're still hanging - do a Repair install. Pop in the XP cd, restart - boot from the cd - hit Enter at the first Repair screen - hit R at the second Repair screen.

IF IT SHUT DOWN NICE:

Go back to msconfig, and bring back one program at a time. Restart - back to the desktop - let everything get calm - Shut down.

As soon as you get a hang, the problem is with the program you brought back one restart ago - NOT THE ONE YOU JUST ENABLED IN MSCONFIG.

Uninstall it - reboot - and reinstall it and see if problem is gone.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
tnx for help, gonna try this tonight (i'm studying now, so i don't have a lot of time).
Btw: the Zonealarm product is just a firewall, not an anti-virus suit.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
hehe, apparantly, it worked! All i needed to do was uninstall McAffee, all other programs seemed to run fine... Many thanks for help, especially pscowboy!

PS: as a temporary anti-virus prog, i've installed the free version of AVG. Is this any good?