Applied Materials rumoured to want to buy AMD

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39110
Tunisia is a-buzz, Daammat
By Charlie Demerjian in Las Vegas: Monday 23 April 2007, 14:45
ONE OF THE HOT rumours floating around is over the sale of AMD. No, not the PE one from last week. This one has Applied Materials (AMAT) buying the firm out. Now, wouldn't that be interesting?
Both AMD and AMAT have denied it vigorously with a confused 'no comment', but we were not expecting anything more. The tie-up makes a bit of snese, and if true, and it is only a rumour right now, it may portend a falling out between AMAT and Intel.
Keep an eye on both companies in the coming weeks, this one has more depth than the usual ones.

Something to watch but i wont hold my breath. :?

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
At first glance, they appear to have some balance sheet room to add a few billion in debt. At a market cap of $25B, could be a cash + stock deal.

I'm not too familar with the company, but my understanding is that they had some struggles this year.

Interesting...

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
@SIRKILLALOT
It is just another BS from the_INQ.
Don't use it as source of information.

With what money? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AMAT has 3 times more money than AMD.

Selling Intel the equipment it needs to make chips is a lucrative business. :)

If AMAT buys AMD, I would imagine that income would cease to be.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
conflict of interest since they sell machines to INTEL. But definitely one of the buyers on my wish list.

Applied would lose so much bussiness in the industry. I think they make dry etch, litho, planner, diffusion, and some metrology equipment. They would so shoot themselves in the foot doing this. They have real good products and help drive the industry, but nobody wants to feed their competitors and they are not the only game in town.

I never did read the article, it sounds fudish to me though.

xpresso

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39110
Tunisia is a-buzz, Daammat
By Charlie Demerjian in Las Vegas: Monday 23 April 2007, 14:45
ONE OF THE HOT rumours floating around is over the sale of AMD. No, not the PE one from last week. This one has Applied Materials (AMAT) buying the firm out. Now, wouldn't that be interesting?
Both AMD and AMAT have denied it vigorously with a confused 'no comment', but we were not expecting anything more. The tie-up makes a bit of snese, and if true, and it is only a rumour right now, it may portend a falling out between AMAT and Intel.
Keep an eye on both companies in the coming weeks, this one has more depth than the usual ones.

Something to watch but i wont hold my breath. :?

This is really dumb rumor time, they must be desperate to find a buyer for AMD. AMAt is a top equipment supplier and is not in the business to compete with Intel or owning fabs for that matter!! 8O

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I hear ya!
well i did say ...
"Something to watch but i wont hold my breath. "
its just 1 rumor of about 4-5 companys buying AMD its just so stupid its funny.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Well, I do know a few other fab tool vendors who would love to fill AMAT's shoes if this does happen. Novellus, KLA/Tencor, and Toyoko Electron to name a few.

This would pretty much kill AMAT, since they aren't in the business of making CPUs, GPUs, or anything else like that (that I've heard, anyway), like xpresso mention.

There is no real reason for AMAT to buyout AMD.

Anyen

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I don't work at Applied Materials, but I certainly do work with them. I've heard directly from a number of their employees that they're looking at AMD. I don't know anything more than that, but this time the Inq is not full of shit.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I don't work at Applied Materials, but I certainly do work with them. I've heard directly from a number of their employees that they're looking at AMD. I don't know anything more than that, but this time the Inq is not full of ****.

8O 8O Applied has been my fantasy buyer of AMD since last friggen year. I just cant see it happening with applied selling to Intel, Youll have to be alot more convincing to assert that the fags at the inquirer are right on this. Looking at a company and weighing conflict of interest is two hugely different things.

I just dont see it as feasable to be the competitor to intel and loose equipment sales. Youll have to present something more than, "I have heard"......

Look at HP/VooDoo or Dell/AlienWare. I worked for a company that was bought by MS as a subsidiary.

The real connection in that case is just the balance sheet not the operation of the company.

Like I said in the other post I don't have an opinion but stranger things have happened.

I mean Intel opened their FSB. That's definitely a route for ATi to develop XFire logic.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
At this point, I actually hope Applied (or someone else) buys AMD out. AMD's leadership is incompetent at best, and someone else needs to take the helm. I would rather not pay double price for Intel products because AMD self-destructed.

Periander

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
If a buyout was already in the works, then the convertable note offering wouldn't be going forward. Same deal with the CC where they announced they were "open" to private equity, they wouldn't have done that if a buyout was in the works.

They've got nobody lined up.

I would look at AMD/AMAT as more a merger of equals that potentially benefits them both. I don't know what percentage of the AMAT revenue comes directly from Intel - it would be interesting to know . . .

That doesn't mean AMAT could not partner with AMD and leverage or *ramp up* volume production whereby AMD becomes a real player in the OEM market - expanding sustainable market share in a meaningful way.

Intel and their business practices have been called into question before . . . . be a great way for AMAT to give 'em the finger - so to speak - if it is so warranted . . . .

That said, AMD has never been a *cash cow* - depreciation/debt has always run ahead of income. It's always been a *fab struggle* for them . . .

Who knows . . . . the AMAT/AMD roadmap could take k10 to 32 nm in 12 months . . .LOL

As others have stated, I really doubt AMAT will buy out AMD. Sure, it will diversify their product line, but then AMAT/AMD will probably loose a major customer Intel if they do not want to deal with their direct competitor in the CPU and chipset market.

However, I should point out that I've been wrong before regarding the acquisition of ATI last year.

Do we know who else does *fab* work for Intel ??? . . . I don't know if could be as much a conflict of interest as **carnivorous capitalism**.

A company with minimal debt (AMAT) needs rapid expansion in a volatile changing market - partnering with a debt heavy company (AMD) who can take the majority of the expansion in a business model that has always been starved of volume.

It makes for an impressive *combined* balance sheet - even with the 'convertibles' - paying down old debt, buying back stock and having enough cash left over for a new fab . . .

And maybe we'll all be using solar-powered AMD-based boxes in 14 months . . . . 8)

edit: I needed to stress the *combined* balance sheets . . . .

Anyen

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I just dont see it as feasable to be the competitor to intel and loose equipment sales. Youll have to present something more than, "I have heard"......

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say that my cousin bob had a friend whose uncle once heard a story from a down and out AMAT employee tripping on shrooms. I said Applied Materials employees have directly told me they are interested acquiring AMD.

Many companies sell directly to their competitors. Intel is providing chips for Mac's while they will be directly competing against the Iphone. If AMAT acquired AMD it's not an inevitability that they would stop dealing with Intel. AMAT is already dealing with both Intel and AMD, and neither company seems to care about that fact.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
More for the rumor mill...

The article I saw was refering to a possible merger , not a buyout...

There is an interesting article out today regarding a potential merger where Applied Materials (AMAT-NASDAQ) is reportedly considering a merger with troubled Advanced Micro Devices (AMD-NYSE). This is not just different than prior rumors that private equity may have an interest in AMD. This would be a true game-changer if there is any truth to it, although investors have more reasons to be skeptical than they have to be hopeful.

http://www.247wallst.com/2007/04/can_applied_mat.html

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say that my cousin bob had a friend whose uncle once heard a story from a down and out AMAT employee tripping on shrooms. I said Applied Materials employees have directly told me they are interested acquiring AMD.

Many companies sell directly to their competitors. Intel is providing chips for Mac's while they will be directly competing against the Iphone. If AMAT acquired AMD it's not an inevitability that they would stop dealing with Intel. AMAT is already dealing with both Intel and AMD, and neither company seems to care about that fact.

I think you underestimate how much such an acquisition would affect AMAT's relationship with Intel. Most cases of supply to a competitor don't include two competitor industries. Also, there is a problem with your Apple example. The competitor to the iphone that you speak of will be a Microsoft product using Intel chips. It will also likely contain chips from companies other than Intel. You may not realize this, but there are more handset companies than chip companies available to supply a particular part in the cell phone industry. They have no choice but to use the same suppliers as their competitors.

If Intel has a viable alternative to AMAT for a particular piece of equipment, they will drop AMAT for supply of that equipment if they acquire AMD. They can probably void any contracts due to the obvious conflict of interest at AMAT.

mpjesse

Splendid
Like I said in the other post I don't have an opinion but stranger things have happened.

I mean Intel opened their FSB. That's definitely a route for ATi to develop XFire logic.

Equivocating Intel opening their FSB to Applied Materials buying AMD is, for lack of a better term, fcuking stupid.

You don't have an opinion because your common sense (which for some reason you choose to surpress) is telling you it's stupid. Listen to it for a change.

Mandrake_

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I really despise the inquirer,whos going to buy AMD next?

We, the members of the TomsHardware Forumz will! We'll wait until AMD's stock is at 1 cent and they make a hostile takeover bid! Muahaha! :lol:

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
We, the members of the TomsHardware Forumz will! We'll wait until AMD's stock is at 1 cent and they make a hostile takeover bid! Muahaha! :lol:

Why? You don't like your Conroes anymore? You hve no use for AMD! (We'll see about that when R600 comes out :lol: )