Windows explorer polls network before opening folders etc.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

In xp home windows explorer polls my network before opening - same
applies to all explorer-based operations. This results in delays in
opening the explorer window.

If I disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP then I get instant screen response
from xplorer but, of course, I can no longer access other computers on
the network.

Is there a simple xp fix that I'm missing here that will allow me to
have my cake and eat it?

If I don't get a response from this ng, I'll go to the network ng but
I've started here because, in the past, I've found the network ng to
be rather unresponsive on basic issues.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:h8gp61lrh0gdouk6ipujbm77v3bm27omfg@4ax.com,
John <nospam@plusnet.com> had this to say:

> In xp home windows explorer polls my network before opening - same
> applies to all explorer-based operations. This results in delays in
> opening the explorer window.
>
> If I disable NETBIOS over TCP/IP then I get instant screen response
> from xplorer but, of course, I can no longer access other computers on
> the network.
>
> Is there a simple xp fix that I'm missing here that will allow me to
> have my cake and eat it?
>
> If I don't get a response from this ng, I'll go to the network ng but
> I've started here because, in the past, I've found the network ng to
> be rather unresponsive on basic issues.

I'm NOT certain that this will fix your problem but it's a good idea to try
it anyhow.

See if this helps?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320138

Galen