anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I am having an Issue with deleting a file that I no longer want on my HD. It gives me the Cannot Delete directory error and I have no idea why. The folder says it has no information in it but I added the rest of the information up on my external HD and it does not add up right...it is odd that I can not delete the folder.

Does anyone know how to delete a folder that gives this error?

Thanks guys

Anurok

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Write down EXACTLY where the file is, and its' exact full name. Read these instructions all the way through first.

Start - Run - (type) cmd. This will give you a Command Prompt window. Just leave it sitting there for now.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete. This will give you Task Manager. Open the Processes tab and look for explorer.exe in the left column - highlight it - click the End Process button.

Leave Task Manager open - return to the Command Prompt window. Navigate to the directory that contains the bad file. If you get an error about invalid directory, put quotation marks around your entry. I hope you know how to navigate? e.g. cd\ by itself brings you to the root of "C". Then cd\?????? (cd being change directory)

Once there, type del whatever that filename is.

Return to Task Manager - File - New Task - (type in) explorer.exe - OK.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thank you for the reply...However, i forgot to mention the bad file is in an external HD, or my drive "G". How do I go about deleting the file from here?

The file is located at:

G:\Bleach!\Extracted

That is the file I want to delete....I was not successful yet with that method. If says the file is not recognizable.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You're saying, after negotiating my method, if you go to G:\Bleach\ and type in del extracted - it doesn't happen?

Type in g: at the prompt; then cd bleach; then del extracted.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Yes sir, I did that exact method and the next error that comes up is:

Cannot delete Directory, file is corrupt and/or unreadable.

That is what I get when i do the method you instructed =/

Anurok

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Take that hd out of the enclosure, and hook it up temporarily to your mobo in the box as second or third hd. Try the routine again.

If that doesn't work - copy off all the stuff you want from there - kill the partition & reformat.