system date problem!

thorosius

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I have Win XP (all updates installed uptill nov 2006) but whenever i restart my PC my system date resets to 1980. Sometimes I get an error after logging into windows that says : "Invalid system time : the time or date on your system is invalid. Please use the date/time applet in Control Panel to properly set your system time and date"

One other thing all of my partitions have an extra option in their right-click menu that wasn't there before i.e. "Auto" like autorun and every drive has two files an autorun ini file and a .exe. If I delete these two files they come back after a little while. I think this is a virus but I cannot identify it. I have a friend that has a similar problem on his IBM thinkpad R50e. His system date also gets reset but there is also an error after initial BIOS startup screen that says something about configuring system date and time. Please can anybody help ? I will really really really be thankful !

thorosius

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
the reason i suspect this is a virus because m friend had this problem at first and when connected computers on lan my computer also showed the same problem on restarting. wt u suggest for this problem?

thorosius

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
CHEEZball >> I have tried both and none works!

pscowboy >> I have already done that with Norton Antivirus (virus definitions uptdated to 27 January 2007) and I'v also run microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool with no results.

More of my friends are having same problem now. And because norton cann't detect this "thing" I suppose this is a new kind of worm/virus. What should I do ?