Anyone done a little entrepreneuring?

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Before deciding to build a PC, I thought it would be a good idea to make a great PC with an e6600, 8800gts, vista etc and then sell it for £100 more than it cost me to build it. If it didnt sell, I'd just keep the computer. If sold one, I'd just make another and then try and sell that.

As my build is still incomplete, I still have the option of doing this, although I'm having many second thoughts about the cpu and gpu.

Has anyone else been succesful with something similar to this, and do you think there is high demand for high end PCs?

The kind of places I'm looking to sell it on is ebay and local adtraders.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It won't work. You'll never be able to compete with builders that buy their parts 100 at a time. E-Bay is best for selling parts not whole PC's. If you have no rep and no 24hr. tech support set up how are you going to command top buck? Been there, done that. :(

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
It won't work. You'll never be able to compete with builders that buy their parts 100 at a time. E-Bay is best for selling parts not whole PC's. If you have no rep and no 24hr. tech support set up how are you going to command top buck? Been there, done that. :(

I hate to agree, but I tried this path, and failed brilliantly. We just couldn't compete with the other builders, and we couldn't get Windows for cheap, and we couldn't supply customer service as well. In the end it came down to if we could build for cheaper than Dell, and still make money. And we couldn't. In any way, in fact, we would have lost about 200 bucks.

DDay

P.S. First post in like 3 months.

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Ebay has loads of actual companies on there trying to sell custom PCs, so thats out of the question for someone like me then.

I'd have to sell my future PC for about £1050 in order to make some profit.

I suppose my local Adtrader would the best place, as Ive seen a couple of high end pcs in there, but I'm sure that they ever sell.

I've decided theres too many risks and complications to make the effort worth it.