User account and related computer settings

How can I find out the relation (or connection) between an user account and
the associated computer settings (folders uner Documents and Settings). On
my home XP PC I have only one account ( my name with administrator
privileges) but a lot of user related folders under "Documents and
Settings". Which one is associated with my user account? Knowing this can I
delete all the remainig? Where can I find these informations?
Thanks for help
Fernand
6 answers Last reply
More about user account related computer settings

    from start click on control panel and select users. From there you can make
    changes

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:25:40 +0200, Fernand Thill wrote:

    > How can I find out the relation (or connection) between an user account and
    > the associated computer settings (folders uner Documents and Settings). On
    > my home XP PC I have only one account ( my name with administrator
    > privileges) but a lot of user related folders under "Documents and
    > Settings". Which one is associated with my user account? Knowing this can I
    > delete all the remainig? Where can I find these informations?
    > Thanks for help
    > Fernand

    Click Start> Run and type in %userprofile%
    Click OK and Windows Explorer will open with the focus on the folders for
    the account that is currently logged on.

    Other account folders that you might see under Documents and Settings:

    Administrator: this is a built in account named Administrator (and belongs
    to the administrator group) that is created when XP is first installed.
    Create another user account and this one will drop off of the welcome
    screen. This account should be kept as it is especially handy as a "spare"
    if your account corrupts to the point that you can't log on. It is also a
    useful account for troubleshooting purposes.

    All Users: Contains settings that relate to all users.

    Default User: A template used to create new accounts.

    Local Service: a machine account used by programs to perform functions on
    behalf of the user.

    Network Service: also a machine account but info stored is related to
    network/internet.

    I do not recommend deleting any of the above account folders.

    If there are users that no longer need an account, delete them from Control
    Panel> User Accounts. Then check Documents and Settings. If there are any
    folders left for user that was removed, they can be deleted.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I appriciate your valuable and clear explanations. I learned a lot.
    But can you tell me why I have duplicated account folders, for example:
    All Users and All Users.Windows
    Default Users and Default Users.Windows
    LocalService and LocalService.NT Authority and LocalService.001
    only to mention these ones.
    It's troubling for me.
    Fernand

    "Fernand Thill" <Fern_lu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I appriciate your valuable and clear explanations. I learned a lot.
    > But can you tell me why I have duplicated account folders, for example:
    > All Users and All Users.Windows
    > Default Users and Default Users.Windows
    > LocalService and LocalService.NT Authority and LocalService.001
    > only to mention these ones.
    > It's troubling for me.
    > Fernand

    I've only seen that happen when I did a clean install over an existing
    install.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Could it be that it happended when I installed SP2?

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:29:38 +0200, Fernand Thill wrote:

    > Could it be that it happended when I installed SP2?

    Like Frank, I've seen this occur when XP is reinstalled over itself (a
    repair install by comparison does not do this). Installing SP2 should not
    create new folders for existing accounts either.

    Another scenario: If an XP computer connects to a domain, duplicate folders
    for a user are created. The suffix (.xxxxx) after the user name is added to
    the domain accounts that are stored on the local system.

    If this is a local machine that never connects to a domain, XP was
    reinstalled somewhere down the line. The folders with the most recent date
    should be the "working" folders for any one account. Checking with
    %userprofile% will only work for accounts that you can log on to. It will
    not work for the machine accounts.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User