Sign in with
Your question

Need new Video card - advise please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2007 7:36:34 PM

Hi All,

I'm sure this is the 1000 post on this subject and I have already read the reviews on this subject but wanted to solicit opinions from people who have already been down this road.

I re-built my PC in August 2006, I used ASUS AN8 SLI motherboard, AMD 939 chipset (can't remember the speed), 2GB memory, 350W power supply, and a cheap video card (I think I spent around $60). The machine is running Windows XP Pro. I want to upgrade to Vista Ultimate, but need to upgrade the video card in order to do so. I would like to spend between $200-$300. The motherboard has 2 PCI-Express slots, but I don't think my power supply is enough to run an 8800 card.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have always received great advise from the users on this forum.

Thanks!

Rachael

More about : video card advise

April 23, 2007 7:41:05 PM

Why do you want to upgrade to Vista ultimate?

If it's not to play games, get a 7600 GS or something else cheap that doesn't use too much power.
It'll work fine for Vista and very light gaming.
April 23, 2007 10:14:48 PM

Quote:
Why do you want to upgrade to Vista ultimate?

If it's not to play games, get a 7600 GS or something else cheap that doesn't use too much power.
It'll work fine for Vista and very light gaming.

Im speechless..
Related resources
April 23, 2007 11:07:10 PM

If I were you, I would wait for the AMD/ATI gpus to come out, and see what they bring to the table. That might help bring prices down on nvidia cards if AMD/ATI outperforms them!!! And if really gonna buy a card because of Vista I would get a diretcx 10 card!!! I gotta Vista Ultimate from Intel promotion, and I havent even installed it yet!!! There's not much reason for it yet. But if you dont mind my asking why do you want to install it right now?
And would help recommend a card for you, if you tell what do yo udo with you computer, do you play any games at all, and what type of games?

Hope we can help!!!! :D 
April 23, 2007 11:11:08 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a rush to upgrade to Vista. If new cards are coming out then I will put that off a bit until then. I don't use my machine for gaming (anymore) no time. Mostly using to store pictures & video and some work related functions (VPN/terminal server/SQL work). Thanks for letting me know what's on the horizon.
!