Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Baron''s AMD support club.

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I am the inquirer

In relation to topic, I hope all their houses burn down. I hate pointless claims like this. No one had to buy the cards, you buy new tech, what do you expect?
Running vista is just asking for it anyway. It's just a money grabbing scheme that our society has come to welcome.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If it were true, how would those consumers actually prove that nVidia's DX10 was not compatible? I mean, what application will they use to support their claims?

Also, to sue for bad Vista drivers is ridiculous. If that were the case, every maker of video cards, sound cards, or anything else installed in a computer needing a driver would be free game for a lawsuit when someone believes they have bad drivers.

What is even worse is that they stated: "is that why we buy a Vista Ready product? to debug it for nvidia? no.", but they don't sue Microsoft when the OS goes haywire. They don't sue a game company when a patch is needed to fix critical bugs. They sue for drivers, but none of the above problems? Hmm...

Wonder what would be next? Will they sue HP or Lexmark if their printer drivers don't work with Vista too?

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The way I understand it the complaint is that nVidia engaged in false advertising by saying that the 8000 series was Vista-compliant when they still don't have a good set of drivers for the 8000 series in Vista. I have also heard this from sources other than the Inq but I don't remember where.

RichPLS

Champion
The prob is not DX10, but the fact that they marketed and labled the $700 GTX8800 cards being Vista capable & supported cards, when in truth there were no certified drivers so when installed immediately crashed the PC.
This is not an issue of simply being buggy in a few games.
Also apparrently nVidia did not have drivers nor support, then denied it as their problem causing lots of people to return other components troubleshooting their systems...

nVidia did botch up quite a few simply by making bold claims on thier products....

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
If I paid all that money for cards that crashed because of poor drivers, I would be pissed off too. Having said that, I would certainly not try to sue anyone for poor drivers. I can't imagine any judge taking this lawsuit seriously, but the lawsuit might make interesting reading.

Blackhawk44M

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
(Blackhawk44m): I love your show and never miss it Mr Trebek , u just make the show(hehehehehe)

(Alex Trebek) Thank you very much , we all here at the show and at Sony Pictures Studios would like to thank you and all of our fans here with us tonight.

(Alex Trebek) Ok let's get on with our show tonight.This marks the end of our adventure for today ....... Final Jeopardy.

(Alex Trebek) Ok Blackhawk has the high score so far so he will get to choose our final catagory. The catagories tonight are American History and Consumer Electronics. After selection you will have 30sec to write down your answer........ Consumer Electronics: I , _______ , learner everything I know from the Inquirer. you man begin BEEP.

(Alex Trebek) Time is up please complete your final selection.
(Alex Trebek) I , _______ , learner everything I know from the Inquirer.
John what is your response. (John) Who is Ben Stein for $9000.

(Alex Trebek) That response is incorrect and you wagered everything so that leaves you at zero.

(Alex Trebek)Ok , gene what is your response ... (Gene) Who is George W. Bush for $5000.(Alex Trebek) That is incorrect and leaves you at $4699
(Alex Trebek)Ok now on to our points leader , what is your Response Blackhawk ..... (Blackhawk44M) Thanks alex , Who is Baron Matrix
(Alex Trebek) That is CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and let's see what you wagered, $13,000 which keeps you on top at a total of $24,348 , you are our champion(omg i have lost it )

Sorry couldn't resist .

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
The prob is not DX10, but the fact that they marketed and labled the $700 GTX8800 cards being Vista capable & supported cards, when in truth there were no certified drivers so when installed immediately crashed the PC.
Also apparrently nVidia did not have drivers nor support, then denied it as their problem causing lots of people to return other components troubleshooting their systems...

nVidia did botch up quite a few simply by making bold claims on thier products....

Word

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I'm not gonna be a blind supporter of nVidia's drivers, cause they have caused me issues in the past (though, I don't use Vista), but my main question, after reading about Vista incompatiblity, is who actually was responsible for claiming that a certain piece of hardware was Vista Capable?

Was MS in charge or nVidia? Look at all the lawsuits being filed against MS for falsely granting a computer system vendor (Dell, HP, etc) to put Vista Capable stickers on their systems, when in reality, they weren't.
MS sued over Vista Compatiblity
Now, why wouldn't the vendors be sued? To me, it makes it sound as though MS just gave out stickers to whoever wanted to claim they were Vista capable, just to help sell the Vista OS.

Again, that's just what I see, and this was not analyzed for more than 10 mins. LOL
:)

I think it was started by:

(4) Little whiny brats who complain that a brand-spanking-new product that cost a lot of their parents' money did not work flawlessly on a just-released, beta-quality OS.

AMD already has its hands full with much bigger game in the legal arena (Intel) where they could potentially get a big, direct payoff instead of small, indirect gains from trying to covertly start a lawsuit against a much smaller competitor using third parties. Anyway, the lawsuit looks like as much of a joke as the people who sued Western Digital over the "1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes" bit. If it even makes it into court, I bet it will be settled for a free game CD or something equally trivial as in the WDC case.

However, I think this will get thrown out as Windows crashing is about as commonplace as people buying coffee at Starbucks and everybody knows it. Now if they decided to sue Microsoft for selling Vista as a known defective product they might have a case, but all of us know it's defective despite what Ballzilla says (thank you, Fortune.) The court would realize that and throw it out faster than a Microsoft exec can come up with an insult to Google.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
My belief is that Nvidia never defined what Vista-ready meant, so if by Vista-ready they meant "able to use the aero-feature", then no-one really has a case, as their Vista-ready cards can certainly do that.

Also by the time the court case goes to trial there will be a new driver out anyway; last time I checked there already was.