Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A few questions about Vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
January 28, 2007 7:55:41 PM

Hello all

I was trying to find out about the vista reinstallation policy. i upgrade my computer quite frequently, motherboard + everything every 9 months or so. i also buy new hard drives quite often, and always do a fresh install.

I heard before that vista only allowed you to do this about 5 times, but don't know if this was in fact true, or has microsofts policy on this matter changed?

also, im hearing a lot of people recommending 32bit version over the 64bit version. why? i thought if your processor is 64bit, you should get the 64bit? i thought it would be faster and more suited to the processor?

thanks

nawfal

More about : questions vista

January 28, 2007 8:12:02 PM

First question: Get the retail version of the OS you want. The OEM doesn't let you reinstall on a different mobo.

Second question: As in Windows Professional x64, there haven't been drivers for everything, and not all programs take advantage of x64.
January 28, 2007 10:37:10 PM

thanks mate

so i should definately get the retail version. will i be able to reinstall it as many times as i want with changing hardware e.g. mobo and hard drive?
Related resources
January 28, 2007 11:08:55 PM

I would get Retail. Somebody else should reply to your question about how much tiems you can re-install Retail. I think it's ten, then you have to call MS and ask them for an ew code, but I'm not sure. :) 
January 28, 2007 11:11:37 PM

i was just wondering because ive had xp for about 5 years (whenever it came out) and ive changed my mobo 6 times i think, and more than 6 hard disk drives.

so vista would work out very expensive if that was the case
January 28, 2007 11:29:15 PM

Quote:
Hello all

I was trying to find out about the vista reinstallation policy. i upgrade my computer quite frequently, motherboard + everything every 9 months or so. i also buy new hard drives quite often, and always do a fresh install.

I heard before that vista only allowed you to do this about 5 times, but dont know if this was infact true, or has microsofts policy on this matter changed?

also, im hearing a lot of people recomending 32bit version over the 64bit version. why? i thought if your processor is 64bit, you should get the 64bit? i thought it would be faster and more suited to the processor?

thanks

nawfal


I was going to quote the Vista EULA but I can't locate it now; M$ may have removed the Vista EULA again from their website for editing. IMO
January 29, 2007 12:21:27 AM

Quote:
i was just wondering because ive had xp for about 5 years (whenever it came out) and ive changed my mobo 6 times i think, and more than 6 hard disk drives.

so vista would work out very expensive if that was the case



Well yes, but the OEM or retail version?
January 29, 2007 4:57:28 AM

well ill be getting the retail version by the sounds of things
January 29, 2007 10:45:12 AM

Quote:
Hello all
I heard before that vista only allowed you to do this about 5 times, but dont know if this was infact true, or has microsofts policy on this matter changed?
also, im hearing a lot of people recomending 32bit version over the 64bit version. why? i thought if your processor is 64bit, you should get the 64bit? i thought it would be faster and more suited to the processor?

This is what I understand from talking to MS reps and reading the MS support forums:
The current limit is 3 installs before contacting MS (per current EULA - this may change under pressure). Per an MS rep., they will be a lot more stringent for Vista this time around to stop piracy so you will probably be buying a new license after 3 installs/system changes to your mobo.

The 64 bit requires 64 bit apps in most cases, so unless if you want to purchase the extra apps (which there aren't that many on the market yet for everyday things) stick with 32 bit OS. 64 Bit still needs a year or so to mature on the market before you'll see all the apps you currently use.
January 29, 2007 4:23:12 PM

Quote:
Hello all
I heard before that vista only allowed you to do this about 5 times, but dont know if this was infact true, or has microsofts policy on this matter changed?
also, im hearing a lot of people recomending 32bit version over the 64bit version. why? i thought if your processor is 64bit, you should get the 64bit? i thought it would be faster and more suited to the processor?

This is what I understand from talking to MS reps and reading the MS support forums:
The current limit is 3 installs before contacting MS (per current EULA - this may change under pressure). Per an MS rep., they will be a lot more stringent for Vista this time around to stop piracy so you will probably be buying a new license after 3 installs/system changes to your mobo.

The 64 bit requires 64 bit apps in most cases, so unless if you want to purchase the extra apps (which there aren't that many on the market yet for everyday things) stick with 32 bit OS. 64 Bit still needs a year or so to mature on the market before you'll see all the apps you currently use.

64b window dont require 64b aplications, i am running 64b OS for more then 1 year without any problems with more then 95% 32b aplications. Only thing that is required for 64b os is 64b system and 64b drivers. I dont see why use 32b versions if you dont already owe one or have only 32b system or if there is no 64b drivers for your HW.
January 29, 2007 4:46:15 PM

Quote:
64b window dont require 64b aplications, i am running 64b OS for more then 1 year without any problems with more then 95% 32b aplications. Only thing that is required for 64b os is 64b system and 64b drivers. I dont see why use 32b versions if you dont already owe one or have only 32b system or if there is no 64b drivers for your HW.


You're right, I mistyped. I meant that Vista 64 requires 64 bit apps in order to gain anything. MS support is saying that 32 bit apps on Vista 64 OS does not give you a performance increase for those apps, and may actually limit performance for those apps because of the restricted environment they run in. The benefits are for those apps that require 64 bit OS to run - giving them stability, performance and security benefits.
!