Fave maps and stuff

Last response: in Video Games
January 25, 2005 5:03:33 PM

Just wondering, haven't seen a poll for a while.

What are peoples fave maps for single- and multi-player? You can give a
why if ya like.

My problem is never remembering the names, or I'd post mine.

At least this will highlight some great maps we can all try, because I'm
always on the lookout for good ones.

Thoughts?

More about : fave maps stuff

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:23:49 PM

too many cool SP and campaigns out there that I like

I love the BAS and SEBnam missions

as far as multiplayer

any of the missions on our two TZW servers

"H. Barker" <hb239@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:p ine.SOC.4.61.0501251402010.11047@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk...

> Just wondering, haven't seen a poll for a while.
>
> What are peoples fave maps for single- and multi-player? You can give a
> why if ya like.
>
> My problem is never remembering the names, or I'd post mine.
>
> At least this will highlight some great maps we can all try, because I'm
> always on the lookout for good ones.
>
> Thoughts?
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:24:12 PM

Steal the car

Actually, I do really like that! I'm like you; can never remember the names
but some of my faves are

Shilkahunt
TJ's Nam CSAR
Desert Ambush (Nogova)
Choplifter (that's what it's based on, not sure if that's the mission name)
PMC campaigns (on the Ranger one atm)

Missions like the top three there are good in that they are great in both
single or multi player.

Did have a couple of ideas for missions myself but after unpbo'ing TJ's Nam
CSAR and seeing how complicated it all is, it'll have to wait til they bring
out the 'OFP Missions for Dummies' editor!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:12:53 AM

For those who haven't been there yet, there's always the M.O.M. section
at The FAQ:

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

H. Barker wrote:
> At least this will highlight some great maps we can all try, because
I'm
> always on the lookout for good ones.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:34:10 AM

What are your ideas, Jaffo?

--Uzi

"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Steal the car
>

> Actually, I do really like that! I'm like you; can never remember the
> names
> but some of my faves are
>
> Shilkahunt
> TJ's Nam CSAR
> Desert Ambush (Nogova)
> Choplifter (that's what it's based on, not sure if that's the mission
> name)
> PMC campaigns (on the Ranger one atm)
>
> Missions like the top three there are good in that they are great in both
> single or multi player.
>
> Did have a couple of ideas for missions myself but after unpbo'ing TJ's
> Nam CSAR and seeing how complicated it all is, it'll have to wait til they
> bring out the 'OFP Missions for Dummies' editor!

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:43:38 PM

On Thu, 26 Jan 2005 theavonlady@theavonlady.org wrote:

> For those who haven't been there yet, there's always the M.O.M. section
> at The FAQ:
>
> http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

Thanks for the link. Any chance you could please filter or separate the
list into Single, Multi (co-op) and especially those which require addons?
That would make a GREAT list!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:54:31 PM

H. Barker wrote:

> Thanks for the link. Any chance you could please filter or separate
> the list into Single, Multi (co-op) and especially those which require
> addons? That would make a GREAT list!

I thought about something like that too: a searchable database with (at
best) all missions. I wrote a script which puts out a list of all
needed addons for a mission when i give a pbo to it, so that process
could be automated. I guess i could also tell number of players (ie
singleplayer or multiplayer and how many players at max for
multiplayer). Or if there is respawn in it or not. But i can't
automtically detect stuff like "coop" or "cti".

But imagine a database where you could just say "show me all coops for 4
to 6 players with either no addons or only the bas rangers and combat
vehicles". Wouldn't that be great?
cu,

Markus
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:13:26 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Markus Holzapfel wrote:

>> Thanks for the link. Any chance you could please filter or separate
>> the list into Single, Multi (co-op) and especially those which require
>> addons? That would make a GREAT list!
>
> I thought about something like that too: a searchable database with (at
> best) all missions. I wrote a script which puts out a list of all
> needed addons for a mission when i give a pbo to it, so that process
> could be automated. I guess i could also tell number of players (ie
> singleplayer or multiplayer and how many players at max for
> multiplayer). Or if there is respawn in it or not. But i can't
> automtically detect stuff like "coop" or "cti".
>
> But imagine a database where you could just say "show me all coops for 4
> to 6 players with either no addons or only the bas rangers and combat
> vehicles". Wouldn't that be great?

It would be a dream come true, but is anyone likely to do it? Wouldn't
have thought so.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:45:49 PM

I could do it, webbased.. If someone gives me tips on how to discover as
much info as possible about missions I am able and willing to put it on
TJ's..

Questions :
-How do we add new missions (ie. who is allowed to do so)
-Can it be refreshed, after a mission went to a new version
-Should we only allow missions with good naming-conventions ? (remember the
threads about it).

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Markus Holzapfel wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for the link. Any chance you could please filter or separate
>>> the list into Single, Multi (co-op) and especially those which require
>>> addons? That would make a GREAT list!
>>
>> I thought about something like that too: a searchable database with (at
>> best) all missions. I wrote a script which puts out a list of all
>> needed addons for a mission when i give a pbo to it, so that process
>> could be automated. I guess i could also tell number of players (ie
>> singleplayer or multiplayer and how many players at max for
>> multiplayer). Or if there is respawn in it or not. But i can't
>> automtically detect stuff like "coop" or "cti".
>>
>> But imagine a database where you could just say "show me all coops for 4
>> to 6 players with either no addons or only the bas rangers and combat
>> vehicles". Wouldn't that be great?
>
> It would be a dream come true, but is anyone likely to do it? Wouldn't
> have thought so.

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:48:05 PM

> What are your ideas, Jaffo?

Well, a couple I'd like which are just tweaks of existing missions...

1. A modification of a CSAR mission where you have two teams, the winners
being the ones who either rescue a single stranded pilot/soldier etc first
or rescue the most players within a time limit. Resistance would be hotile
to both of course and you'd have options of having just transport choppers
or transports and gunships in order to fight the other side for getting to
the stranded AI.

2. A mod of serial killer. The best part of SK for me is when the police
have a good idea of your position and you are being hounded and are bombing
away in cars/jeeps etc. It's like when you have 2 stars+ in GTA. Until that
point, it's often quite dull and slow, especially if the SK is rounding up
victims in buses etc to move them to another area to kill them. I'd prefer
it if you were forced to kill within 5 minutes of the start so that you
don't have time to do stuff like that and are being hounded straight away.
You get more games in too, with more people getting the chance to be SK.
When we play sometimes we do play by that rule but it would be better if it
was enforced by the game. I'm sure there was some other stuff I had in mind
for SK cos this one seems very small tweak on it's own!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:48:30 PM

My one and only attempt at a mission was like serial killer only in a small
camp, just a DM really, soldiers had to kill the civilian killer before he
killed them all, also the camp had a dozen or so other civilians , so unless
the killer drew his weapon he could blend in with the other civi's, and any
innocent civi's killed and you were out.
Never really finished it properly but i think Ned put it on server.'Enemy
Within'

--
Kango <TZW>

>> What are your ideas, Jaffo?
>
> Well, a couple I'd like which are just tweaks of existing missions...
>
> 1. A modification of a CSAR mission where you have two teams, the winners
> being the ones who either rescue a single stranded pilot/soldier etc first
> or rescue the most players within a time limit. Resistance would be hotile
> to both of course and you'd have options of having just transport choppers
> or transports and gunships in order to fight the other side for getting to
> the stranded AI.
>
> 2. A mod of serial killer. The best part of SK for me is when the police
> have a good idea of your position and you are being hounded and are
> bombing
> away in cars/jeeps etc. It's like when you have 2 stars+ in GTA. Until
> that
> point, it's often quite dull and slow, especially if the SK is rounding up
> victims in buses etc to move them to another area to kill them. I'd prefer
> it if you were forced to kill within 5 minutes of the start so that you
> don't have time to do stuff like that and are being hounded straight away.
> You get more games in too, with more people getting the chance to be SK.
> When we play sometimes we do play by that rule but it would be better if
> it
> was enforced by the game. I'm sure there was some other stuff I had in
> mind for SK cos this one seems very small tweak on it's own!

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:24:28 PM

we played serial killer recently

I was doing ok... killed first woman in just a couple minutes

snuck to another town... killed second woman

due to distances involved, I had trouble moving to 3rd town

I was making like sneaky bastid.... but I believe it was
Xenu that found me (or maybe Bob) using Chopper

(I think there at too many choppers!!!)

but this was in full daylight.... given my preference I
would never have tried this unless I had the advantage
of darkness

btw... 2nd victim... they were flying all around the town...

I still managed to hide... and when they weren't looking

I managed to kill the lady

then... I managed to get halfway from Blata (that 2nd victim)

to Trosky... before I was killed

roflmao

Give me night time... and I will eradicate the civilians from
you puny land!!!

"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What are your ideas, Jaffo?
>
> Well, a couple I'd like which are just tweaks of existing missions...
>
> 1. A modification of a CSAR mission where you have two teams, the winners
> being the ones who either rescue a single stranded pilot/soldier etc first
> or rescue the most players within a time limit. Resistance would be hotile
> to both of course and you'd have options of having just transport choppers
> or transports and gunships in order to fight the other side for getting to
> the stranded AI.
>
> 2. A mod of serial killer. The best part of SK for me is when the police
> have a good idea of your position and you are being hounded and are
> bombing
> away in cars/jeeps etc. It's like when you have 2 stars+ in GTA. Until
> that
> point, it's often quite dull and slow, especially if the SK is rounding up
> victims in buses etc to move them to another area to kill them. I'd prefer
> it if you were forced to kill within 5 minutes of the start so that you
> don't have time to do stuff like that and are being hounded straight away.
> You get more games in too, with more people getting the chance to be SK.
> When we play sometimes we do play by that rule but it would be better if
> it
> was enforced by the game. I'm sure there was some other stuff I had in
> mind for SK cos this one seems very small tweak on it's own!

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:20:00 AM

Markus,

I started on a tool to do this, just because I'm curious if I can make one..
The problem I run into is unbpo-ing missions from the commandline.. I cannot
find any tools which I can run from my program which will unpbo any given
mission, since all rely on an explorer-screen to select the mission (ie. no
command line parameters to specify the mission and automatically unpbo it).

Any suggestions / tips / links ?

--
-
"Markus Holzapfel" <frefoli@gmx.net> schreef in bericht
> H. Barker wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the link. Any chance you could please filter or separate
>> the list into Single, Multi (co-op) and especially those which require
>> addons? That would make a GREAT list!
>
> I thought about something like that too: a searchable database with (at
> best) all missions. I wrote a script which puts out a list of all
> needed addons for a mission when i give a pbo to it, so that process
> could be automated. I guess i could also tell number of players (ie
> singleplayer or multiplayer and how many players at max for
> multiplayer). Or if there is respawn in it or not. But i can't
> automtically detect stuff like "coop" or "cti".
>
> But imagine a database where you could just say "show me all coops for 4
> to 6 players with either no addons or only the bas rangers and combat
> vehicles". Wouldn't that be great?
> cu,
>
> Markus
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:16:19 AM

So far it does : (4 testmissions depbo-ed before starting)..

Filename : 1-12_C_Bridge_To_Freedom.Noe.pbo
Briefing-name : Bridge To Freedom (1-12 C)
West : 0
East : 0
Civilian : 0
Resistance : 12
GameType : Coop

Filename : vo11ZZ_Serialkiller.Noe.pbo
Briefing-name :
West : 10
East : 1
Civilian : 0
Resistance : 0
GameType : Probably TDM

Filename : wgl bastige nogava TZW edit 1.Noe.pbo
Briefing-name : Bastige Nogova
West : 41
East : 0
Civilian : 0
Resistance : 0
GameType : Coop

Filename : [cti]mfcti1.16.eden.pbo
Briefing-name : @STRMODSHORTNAME
West : 6
East : 6
Civilian : 0
Resistance : 0
GameType : CTI

What do we want to know more ?

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
-
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:42:43 AM

Added respawn settings and respawn timer too....

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
-
A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the
lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through
the minds of either.
-
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:48:53 AM

"Jaffo" <REMOVETHISjaffo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What are your ideas, Jaffo?
>
> Well, a couple I'd like which are just tweaks of existing missions...
>
> 1. A modification of a CSAR mission where you have two teams, the winners
> being the ones who either rescue a single stranded pilot/soldier etc first
> or rescue the most players within a time limit. Resistance would be hotile
> to both of course and you'd have options of having just transport choppers
> or transports and gunships in order to fight the other side for getting to
> the stranded AI.

Jaffo. I've done an early version of that type of mission for OFP. It's a
bit laggy but I think it's still on TJ's server. It's called BAT21. I'd
welcome any feedback you can give me on it because at the moment I'm trying
to convert it for VBS.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:26:37 AM

Next question :)

What kind of database do you want ? I already dump to msaccess since that's
the easiest.. You can use PHP and all the other scripts like ASP to do
connections to it.. If you think you will need a MySQL connection to I'll
write it ;)

BtW I'm going to a simple php-based queryscript for it, so all Linux and W32
hosts can use it..

I would love to have *some* suggestions since I'm getting on steam atm....
If you don't give any input it will be something that is good from *my* POV
:)

<Still looking for a tool which does unpbo with commandline options>

--
-
Jan van Zanten, aka NedFox <TZW>
-
A lecture is a process where information is passed from the notebook of the
lecturer to the notebook of the student without necessarily passing through
the minds of either.
-
"Markus Holzapfel" <frefoli@gmx.net> schreef in bericht
> H. Barker wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the link. Any chance you could please filter or separate
>> the list into Single, Multi (co-op) and especially those which require
>> addons? That would make a GREAT list!
>
> I thought about something like that too: a searchable database with (at
> best) all missions. I wrote a script which puts out a list of all
> needed addons for a mission when i give a pbo to it, so that process
> could be automated. I guess i could also tell number of players (ie
> singleplayer or multiplayer and how many players at max for
> multiplayer). Or if there is respawn in it or not. But i can't
> automtically detect stuff like "coop" or "cti".
>
> But imagine a database where you could just say "show me all coops for 4
> to 6 players with either no addons or only the bas rangers and combat
> vehicles". Wouldn't that be great?
> cu,
>
> Markus
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:04:31 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, NedFox <TZW> wrote:

> Next question :)
>
> What kind of database do you want ? I already dump to msaccess since that's
> the easiest.. You can use PHP and all the other scripts like ASP to do
> connections to it.. If you think you will need a MySQL connection to I'll
> write it ;)
>
> BtW I'm going to a simple php-based queryscript for it, so all Linux and W32
> hosts can use it..
>
> I would love to have *some* suggestions since I'm getting on steam atm....
> If you don't give any input it will be something that is good from *my* POV
> :)
>
> <Still looking for a tool which does unpbo with commandline options>

From my own POV all I want is a searchable web database that can be
updated and gives access to:

Co-Op
Deathmatch
CTF
Single
Other

Cadet
Veteran

Author

Tested? Y/N

Rating (1-5)

What else do we need..?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:09:10 PM

NedFox wrote:

> Markus,
>
> I started on a tool to do this, just because I'm curious if I can make
> one.. The problem I run into is unbpo-ing missions from the
> commandline.. I cannot find any tools which I can run from my program
> which will unpbo any given mission, since all rely on an
> explorer-screen to select the mission (ie. no command line parameters
> to specify the mission and automatically unpbo it).
>
> Any suggestions / tips / links ?

I was told the pbo format was described at ofpec, but someone offered me
a completed commandline depbo/debin tool at that time. So the only
thing i had to do was to call it and go through the unpacked files.

But it is for linux. Maybe it could be compiled for win too, but i am
not sure. I'll have to verify this...

Regarding the database idea i don't think implementing something like
this would be too hard, but the work of keeping it updated, ie checking
all new missions and putting them into the database, providing download
links, etc.

What i think should be in the database:

-checksum of mission, crc32 AND md5 would be best
-name of mission
-number of players
-used addons
-island
-respawn

This could so far be automated.

-type of mission
-options (in slot selection screen)
-tested with version v1.xy
-versions of addons used

This could at best be half-automated.

The reason for the checksum in addition to the mission name is that many
people modify or rename missions. Island and addons obviously help with
missions/servers using addons. So if i have addons x, y and z on my
server i obviously am interested in missions using those addons and
nothing else. Respawn seems to be a "hot" issue too, some people love
it and want to play respawn missions only, others dislike respawn
missions (me for example ;) ). With options i mean stuff like limiting
playing time, or difficulty level, or intro, something like that might
be interesting to know in advance.

On a meta level it might be interesting to have:

-mission makers name
-homepage of mission maker
-maybe the option to rate missions (user/testing rating)
-name of tester

This can not be derived from the mission itself (in most cases) but is
interesting too. For one you can give credit to the mission maker. But
you also have those "i liked this mission by Blake/TJ/etc and want to
try his other missions" or the "man, tester xyz has always been dead
on, he seems to have the same taste as i, i wanna try all the he thinks
are good". Last point is obviously only good with an "official" testing
crew.
cu,

Markus
!