Any tips for poor cable signal on low numbered channels?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 23, 2004 7:21:31 AM

I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
look great, and HD is superb.

The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad, with
lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:21:32 AM

Verizon User wrote:

> I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
> house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
> look great, and HD is superb.
>
> The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad, with
> lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.
>
> Is there anything I can do?
>
> Thanks.

Your details on what you have... Cable & no OTA antenna

makes the question hard to answer....

Are Channels 3-20 Cable or OTA.....

IF OTA, then using a UHF for VHF channels might be a problem...

IF you only have Cable.... Channel Groups is the

method by which channels are scrambled... OR

is that Digital channels do not pass well on the

low frequencies.... ????

Someone answered the WHY part of Cable Prog. Transmission

groupings very recently... Can't find that superb post...
November 23, 2004 3:13:04 PM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
> house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
> look great, and HD is superb.
>
> The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad, with
> lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.
>
> Is there anything I can do?
>
> Thanks.

As a home theater tech/installer years ago, when we encountered this
problem,
many times replacing all of the f connectors on the ends of the coax solved
it.

Easier method is to buy some spray contact cleaner "Cramolin" (AKA Deoxit)
and apply it to all the F connectors and input jacks.
Related resources
November 23, 2004 4:59:28 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:33:59 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

>Verizon User wrote:
>>
>> I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
>> house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
>> look great, and HD is superb.
>>
>> The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad, with
>> lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Your details on what you have... Cable & no OTA antenna
>
> makes the question hard to answer....
>
> Are Channels 3-20 Cable or OTA.....
>
> IF OTA, then using a UHF for VHF channels might be a problem...
>
> IF you only have Cable.... Channel Groups is the
>
> method by which channels are scrambled... OR
>
> is that Digital channels do not pass well on the
>
> low frequencies.... ????
>
> Someone answered the WHY part of Cable Prog. Transmission
>
> groupings very recently... Can't find that superb post...

The low channels on cable are analog and do not come in as good on the
newer tvs
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:55:07 PM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
> house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
> look great, and HD is superb.
>
> The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad, with
> lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.

So, you are using a CableCard to decode the signals? Or are the HD channels
you mention the free, network channels that you could also get over the air?

In general, SD channels look worse on an HD set than they do on an old SD
set, but if it is just your channels 3-20, I don't think that is your
problem. My guess is some flaw in the cable from your cable company that is
causing interference at certain frequencies related to these lower channels.
I suggest you call the cable company and report this problem. They will
probably send someone out to check your lines and connections.

mack
austin
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 6:55:08 PM

I assume you are talking about analog cable, unfortunately that is a
common occurence to have the lower channels a lot noisier then the
higher channels.
You can complain to the cable-co.

--
rcbridge
November 23, 2004 6:55:08 PM

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:v3Jod.32300$g21.19088@fe1.texas.rr.com...

> "Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
>> I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
>> house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
>> look great, and HD is superb.
>>
>> The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad,
>> with
>> lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.
>
> So, you are using a CableCard to decode the signals? Or are the HD
> channels
> you mention the free, network channels that you could also get over the
> air?
>
> In general, SD channels look worse on an HD set than they do on an old SD
> set, but if it is just your channels 3-20, I don't think that is your
> problem. My guess is some flaw in the cable from your cable company that
> is
> causing interference at certain frequencies related to these lower
> channels.
> I suggest you call the cable company and report this problem. They will
> probably send someone out to check your lines and connections.
>
> mack
> austin

1. Check to see that you are running dual quad shielded RG-6 all the way
from the splitter to the set.

2. Check that all the connections are solid on the cable and that all open
terminals on the splitter have resister terminal enders installed.

3. Be sure the from the cable company is good. Should be quad shielded RG-6
or RG-11.

Easy way to check your inside wiring is to pick up a completed RG-6 wire
from Radio Shack and run it directly from your inside connector to the set.
If that looks clean you know you have an internal wire problem.

But your cable company will likely come out and fix this for you at no
charge.

Richard.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 7:38:19 PM

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote:
> I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into my
> house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
> look great, and HD is superb.
>
> The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad,
> with lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.
>
> Is there anything I can do?
>
> Thanks.

Check all of your connections. There is something loose somewhere
or perhaps you have the cable split too many times. Daisy chaining
the cable will cause this problem as will a loose connection.
Chip

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 5:35:47 AM

Sorry for the lack of info:
I use Comcast Cable in the Philadelphia area.
I use an OTA antenna for the local HD channels.
I thought I heard that Comcast doesn't broadcast most of their channels
digitally, although they claim to give digital service.

Any thoughts?

I do not
"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Verizon User wrote:
> >
> > I got a new plasma-- love HD on it. I have a coax cable (no box) into
my
> > house. The non-digital channels look soso, the digital (nonHD) channels
> > look great, and HD is superb.
> >
> > The problem is that the low channels (channels 3-20) look pretty bad,
with
> > lots of snow and artifact, in comparison with the higher channels.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do?
> >
> > Thanks.
>

> Your details on what you have... Cable & no OTA antenna
>
> makes the question hard to answer....
>
> Are Channels 3-20 Cable or OTA.....
>
> IF OTA, then using a UHF for VHF channels might be a problem...
>
> IF you only have Cable.... Channel Groups is the
>
> method by which channels are scrambled... OR
>
> is that Digital channels do not pass well on the
>
> low frequencies.... ????
>
> Someone answered the WHY part of Cable Prog. Transmission
>
> groupings very recently... Can't find that superb post...
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 8:58:43 PM

> Sorry for the lack of info:
> I use Comcast Cable in the Philadelphia area.
> I use an OTA antenna for the local HD channels.
> I thought I heard that Comcast doesn't broadcast most of their channels
> digitally, although they claim to give digital service.
>
> Any thoughts?

You can easily check which channels Comcast is delivering locally in the
analog format. Run your cable, or use a 1-GHz splitter, directly to your
set's standard antenna input. Run a channel scan. Only analog stations will
register, and some should not be scrambled.

Some cable firms duplicate their analog channels (usually below #100) in a
digital format. A digital cable converter is required.

The cable company should clear up the lower-numbered channels, and repeated
visits--with a request for a supervisor--may be needed. Step one is for the
cable tech to measure signal levels at several frequency bands to ensure the
signal level is adequate. Rewiring in your home or outside may be needed to
fix defective cabling, or cable-line amplifiers may need replacement or
repair.
John
!