Vista HP OEM vs Retail upgrade? Which should I get?

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Vista Home Premium OEM vs Retail upgrade? Which should I get? The OEM is cheaper but is it a mistake? And does the OEM include both 32 and 64 bit versions? Also I have XP Pro, is Vista Ultimate worth it? I'm thinking I'll just go with Home Premium.

Solution
I was under the impression that an 'in warranty' replacement of a Mainboard will let you reactivate your OEM just fine (you just may have to explain the situation to MS). Since most Mainboard have a 2-3 years warranty, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Only when you replace it with a different model are you in trouble.

KwyjiboNL77

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I was under the impression that an 'in warranty' replacement of a Mainboard will let you reactivate your OEM just fine (you just may have to explain the situation to MS). Since most Mainboard have a 2-3 years warranty, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Only when you replace it with a different model are you in trouble.

Solution

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006

hmm,
I'd like to know that answer to.