vir7uous

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Budget: $700

Desired OC Goal: 2.8 GHz

Current Build:

Intel C2D E6320

GA-965P-DS3

Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Sapphire x1950Pro 256MB

WD 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

FSP AX450-PN 450W

Zalman 7700 ALCU

Subtotal: $708

Questions:

1. With my goal being 2.8Ghz, Will i be pleased with the Kingston DDR2 667 RAM?

2. Is that Power Supply Enough Power? I am still a little lost as to what all constitutes a 'Sufficient' Power Supply.

3. Should the Zalman 7700 ALCU be enough cooling for a 2.8 Ghz OC of the e6320? If no, is there anything in that price range you could suggest? Or should i wait a week for my next paycheck and upgrade to something nicer in the $50-$60 range.

4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time and help! I really do appreciate all the help i get from these forums! You regulars are pretty impressive w/ your knowledge!

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
1) Likely not. 667 RAM will only take you to 2.3/2.4ghz (333 FSB X 7x multiplier). You'll need 800 RAM to hit 2.8/3.0 range. Cheap G.Skill 800 will do the trick. I've heard of some Kingston sticks hitting high clocks, but for a beginner I wouldn't count on it at all.

2) Should be. 36A on the 12v rail, and that vid card.....you should be just fine.

3) No. Wait another week or so and get a GOOD cooler. Consider an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, or a Thermaltake Big Typhoon for your budget range. The ACFP is waaay overpriced at most places now, so I'd go with the Big Typhoon personally.

4) Got a decent case? If not, look at the Coolermaster 534 (no PSU) for $50. Good, basic case, good layout and airflow. Highly recommended for a tight budget.

Good luck!

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Exactly. Good stuff, will OC a bit, and is dirt cheap. Get that stuff, very good for what you're planning on doing. Wow, that's a helluva deal, I'd jump on that NOW if I were you.

Damn you Yanks and your cheap RAM!! ARGH.....Canadian prices are so much higher.

But I guess we have "free" health care an no inner city slums......LOL

I jest, I jest. :roll:

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Exactly. Good stuff, will OC a bit, and is dirt cheap. Get that stuff, very good for what you're planning on doing. Wow, that's a helluva deal, I'd jump on that NOW if I were you.

Damn you Yanks and your cheap RAM!! ARGH.....Canadian prices are so much higher.

RAM vs Healthcare and no slums.... hahahah RAM FTW :wink:

Anyways.. I think that goal is quiet obtainable with the difference in RAM there.... good luck

vir7uous

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007

LOL, whats the point of living if you cant buy cheap RAM... Or was it whats the point of buying cheap RAM if you cant live to use it...?

Thanks for all the help though.

One last question, I have an old case i was going to recycle for this build. It used to house my Epox 8hak+ (which was ATX 12''x9''). The case is 4-5Years old, although it was a nice case (good airflow etc) when i bought it. Has anything changed in the ATX design in the past 4 years that would make the case unusable?

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Forgive me for distracting from the purpose of the thread.. but I haven't kept up with the ins and outs of C2D completely.. what is the new thing in the chip name i.e. e6320 is it more cache? I haven't looked into it mucho

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

RAM I just bought

Maybe it's not quite the deal of the US$105 G.Skill, but I'd say CDN$155 isn't too bad for 2x1GB 6400 CL5. The CL4 stuff starts around $170, but that's the stuff on sale. Regular prices are still over $200. Last time I bought RAM was about a year ago, and it was CDN$135 for 2x512 4300 CL4. I thought the price I got last week was pretty good.

Lovin' the health care. I can't believe it's actually starting to improve again. Somebody's doing something right. Hey, at least Canada is one of the cheapest places to buy music.