8800GTS 320MB vs 640MB. (Price Vs. Performance).

tehlexinator

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Anyone know the price/performance ratio for this thing? I checked out some benchmarks and it seems that all an extra 320 MB of ram gets you is a slight fps boost in most cases.

What would be a better buy? (Money/performance wise).

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Right now the 320, however the 640 is more future-proof. If you aren't planning on getting a new card fr a year or so you should grab the 640.

tehlexinator

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Thanks. I actually already have a card.
I just wanted some thoughts on the subject.
320MB costs $100 less.
640MB only gets you a few more fps.
Just weird is all. Not even 10 FPS and the price gets hiked $100.

If your resolutions are higher, the 640 will help alot, at 16x12 on up it shines, and some current games excel with 512mb on up also. The expected demands of newer games may make this a good hedge for futureproofing

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Ok.. So unless you are gaming at a super high res... test show that there are no perfomace gains from the 640MB of RAM.... So unless you plan on playing on a huge tv/monitor at a really high res.. there is no gain from 640.. 320 will do just fine @ 1280x1024.. Who knows what the future will hold and if the extra ram will be somehow utilized at a lower res.. hope that helps.

Ok.. So unless you are gaming at a super high res... test show that there are no perfomace gains from the 640MB of RAM.... So unless you plan on playing on a huge tv/monitor at a really high res.. there is no gain from 640.. 320 will do just fine @ 1280x1024.. Who knows what the future will hold and if the extra ram will be somehow utilized at a lower res.. hope that helps.
So we have reached the pinnacle in gaming? No games require 512 for the best eye candy? And adding physics into the mix isnt just cpu driven. If you add the dx10 actions to a game, wont you see them as well? Or will it just show less so that dx10 games dont require more gfx ram?

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
So we have reached the pinnacle in gaming? No games require 512 for the best eye candy? And adding physics into the mix isnt just cpu driven. If you add the dx10 actions to a game, wont you see them as well? Or will it just show less so that dx10 games dont require more gfx ram?

Sry.. phrased badly. or maybe not at all..Sometimes I forget people can't read my mind.. In a clearer more complete way I meant to inquire that in the 8800GTS 320s lifetime.. will need more ram to run at the same lower res.. or if it will be GPU limited.... rendering the 640s ram still useless at low res...

But it would be nice if we soon reached the pinnacle.. that way I could stop lusting for a new graphics and wanting to upgrade and spend money on my rig..... :roll: But then they would come out with some new immersion experience to make me buy that....

IF they could do games like that :D Id bet that somehow the hardware companies would be buying out the gaming industry if that happened tho,and if not, yeah a new immersion would arise. Besides after women(being#1) comps/games are next on my list to lust after heheh