Moving 'My Documents' to the ROM

July 18, 2005 8:27:06 PM

Is changing the 'My Documents' folder location possible?

--
Eran Kampf
eran.kampf AT sap.com

More about : moving documents rom

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:51:04 PM

Maybe is possible . try this tip ...

Activesync File Syncronization to SD or CF Card

After some testing on my part, I am able to use file syncronization in

activesync to sync files to my SD or CF card instead of going to the My

Documents folder in the internal memory. Since I use file syncronization

for certain apps (such as eWallet) I can now save space in RAM and sync

the files to the SD or CF cards on my 2215. The trick is a simple

registry tweak and then a soft reset. You will need a registry editor to

do this. I also recommend doing a backup of your PPC first and also

backing up the PPC My Documents folder on your desktop so that you won't

loose any files if you make a mistake. This is how I did it:

1. Done my backups.

2. Turned off File Syncronization in Activesync on my desktop.

3. Create a Folder on your SD or CF card for your sync'ed files (My

Documents for example). Remember the folder name as you will need it later.

4. Copy the files from the PPC My Documents folder on your desktop to

the newly created folder on your SD or CF card. You could either use a

card reader/writer or activesync to do this.

5. Open the registry editor. Goto \HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE

Services. There are two keys to edit; the FileSyncPath and the

NoSubFolderIn keys. These keys contain the path of where your files are

sync'ed to. The FileSyncPath key should be modified to point to your

newly created folder on your SD or CF card. In my case I modified it to

\SD Card\My Documents. Modify the NoSubFolderIn to \SD Card\My

Documents\ (in my case). Save and exit the registry app.

6. Soft Reset your PPC.

7. Turn File Syncronization back on and cradle your PPC. The files

should now sync to your SD or CF card.

Once you have sync'ed a couple of times and you are comfortable, you can

delete the files in \My Documents. Be careful and not delete any notes

that you have in the folder that has been created with the Notes app.

Also you might find file syncronization to be a little slower due to the

fact that you are now writing to the SD or CF card instead of the

internal RAM.

--
Cleverson A Izzo
www.wince.com.br