HDTV IN UK........

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 23, 2004 12:31:19 PM

Hi

From Oldham in the UK!

I have just purchased the Tosh 46" Hi Def from Costco over here.

Great price for what it is £1580 inc vat and 3 yr gtee.

Problem is we dont have any hi def broadcasts over here yet - well there is
one sat channel - but thats not really got any decent programming on it
etc............

But I am awaiting my hi def lead for my xbox - and wondered what sort of
qulity I can expect from the xbox on my new toy!

Also whilst playing normal dvd's thru the xbox - does it upscale to 720 -
will the picture be better?

Thanks, Dave, Oldham UK.

More about : hdtv

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 8:40:07 PM

I have found that my NTSC DVD's look wonderful on my Sony Wega LCD
60" HD set. When the shots are close-ups they rival HD, but of course
the wide shots just don't have the detail of a move in HD. Your PAL
system has a higher line standard than NTSC so DVD's should look even
better with your system.

I cannot get Hi Def cable in my apartment building but can receive the
digital broadcast channels off the air. The four major US networks and
one of the minor ones offer many of their prime time programs in HD
programming and a good percentage of sporting events are HD. It is
quite spectacular and you will love it when you get it.

We are a decade behind you in digital and wide screen broadcasting
but maybe it was worth the wait since HD seems to be catching on
faster than anticipated. American broadcasters fought the digital
conversion tooth and nail saying they wouldn't broadcast in HD (they
have that option) but quickly changed their minds. Cable companies
that said they wouldn't carry HD also changed their minds and offer 20
to 25 HD channels. I am sure the same thing will occur in the UK since
you are already ahead of us in the digital age.

Enjoy you new set.

Garth

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:31:19 GMT, "dave" <david.mowbray1@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>From Oldham in the UK!
>
>I have just purchased the Tosh 46" Hi Def from Costco over here.
>
>Great price for what it is £1580 inc vat and 3 yr gtee.
>
>Problem is we dont have any hi def broadcasts over here yet - well there is
>one sat channel - but thats not really got any decent programming on it
>etc............
>
>But I am awaiting my hi def lead for my xbox - and wondered what sort of
>qulity I can expect from the xbox on my new toy!
>
>Also whilst playing normal dvd's thru the xbox - does it upscale to 720 -
>will the picture be better?
>
>Thanks, Dave, Oldham UK.

November 25, 2004 11:31:36 AM

"Garth" <garth09@rcn.com> wrote in message
>I have found that my NTSC DVD's look wonderful on my Sony Wega LCD
> 60" HD set. When the shots are close-ups they rival HD, but of course
> the wide shots just don't have the detail of a move in HD. Your PAL
> system has a higher line standard than NTSC so DVD's should look even
> better with your system.
>
> I cannot get Hi Def cable in my apartment building but can receive the
> digital broadcast channels off the air. The four major US networks and
> one of the minor ones offer many of their prime time programs in HD
> programming and a good percentage of sporting events are HD. It is
> quite spectacular and you will love it when you get it.
>
> We are a decade behind you in digital and wide screen broadcasting
> but maybe it was worth the wait since HD seems to be catching on
> faster than anticipated. American broadcasters fought the digital
> conversion tooth and nail saying they wouldn't broadcast in HD (they
> have that option) but quickly changed their minds. Cable companies
> that said they wouldn't carry HD also changed their minds and offer 20
> to 25 HD channels. I am sure the same thing will occur in the UK since
> you are already ahead of us in the digital age.
>
> Enjoy you new set.
>
> Garth

Hi Garth........

Well I have downloaded some episodes of LOST in HD and plugged my PC into
the PC input of the Tosh and......................WOW!

Obviously being an xvid file of a hd show some information is LOST! but

You guys are so lucky having regular HD broadcasts - whilst I have to mess
about with down loaded stuff.

Dave, Oldham UK.
!