Need help getting a wireless signal 100 feet

Here is my dilemma. I have a comcast modem and a linksys router attached to the cable behind my flatscreen in my upstairs den. I need the signal from the router to reach my room a little less than 100 feet away, and 3 floors down. The only issue is that there is a 2.5 foot brick wall in the way. There is a 5 and a half foot entryway to the left of the wall that leads to the stairs, and eventually my room. The router on its own has been unsuccesful in getting a signal around the brick wall. Is there some sort of relay or bridge device that i can place next to the wall that will send the signal to the basement? Or is there a way that I can set up a chain of relays signaling to eachother throughout the house? I'm not very experienced in networking, but I am in computers. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about need wireless signal feet
  1. Is the den the only place you have cable? Can you move the router to another more central location?
  2. Run a wire outside the house if you can and around the brick wall. You won't have luck getting a signal through that brick wall.
  3. I was gonna run a line around the house as a last resort, and the den is the only place with cable, but there isn't any sort of bridge or relay that i can set next to the wall (where i get service right before i cut out) that can send a signal to the basement?
  4. You could try a wireless repeater.

Grumpy
  5. what would the repeater do, and how expensive are they? Thanks in advance.
  6. A wireless repeater or (Range Expander) picks up the wireless signal and rebroadcasts it.

Grumpy
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Networking