Your question

Need help getting a wireless signal 100 feet

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Wireless
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 12, 2007 2:36:26 AM

Here is my dilemma. I have a comcast modem and a linksys router attached to the cable behind my flatscreen in my upstairs den. I need the signal from the router to reach my room a little less than 100 feet away, and 3 floors down. The only issue is that there is a 2.5 foot brick wall in the way. There is a 5 and a half foot entryway to the left of the wall that leads to the stairs, and eventually my room. The router on its own has been unsuccesful in getting a signal around the brick wall. Is there some sort of relay or bridge device that i can place next to the wall that will send the signal to the basement? Or is there a way that I can set up a chain of relays signaling to eachother throughout the house? I'm not very experienced in networking, but I am in computers. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

More about : wireless signal 100 feet

April 12, 2007 5:54:04 AM

Is the den the only place you have cable? Can you move the router to another more central location?
April 12, 2007 8:36:27 PM

Run a wire outside the house if you can and around the brick wall. You won't have luck getting a signal through that brick wall.
Related resources
April 12, 2007 11:07:17 PM

I was gonna run a line around the house as a last resort, and the den is the only place with cable, but there isn't any sort of bridge or relay that i can set next to the wall (where i get service right before i cut out) that can send a signal to the basement?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 12, 2007 11:39:55 PM

You could try a wireless repeater.

Grumpy
April 13, 2007 2:26:00 AM

what would the repeater do, and how expensive are they? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 13, 2007 4:33:47 PM

A wireless repeater or (Range Expander) picks up the wireless signal and rebroadcasts it.

Grumpy
!