Windows XP & Autochk

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hello Group,

My dilemma,

I have a Compaq Evo N1020v laptop that had GoBack on it. GoBack got fried
and would not allow the machine to go past it's bootup screen, and in order
to get the machine past that point, I did a FDISK /MBR to remove GoBack as
all the other options would not work.

Now, the machine starts to boot Win XP, but then reaches a point where it
tries to load AUTOCHK, but then says its missing and that it will skip the
check, then the machine reboots and that's the cycle.

I booted from the install CD, selected the Repair option in order to drop
down to the repair console. When I get there and I select the installation I
wish to repair and it asks me for password, I enter the password which I
know it is and which I was using before the GoBack went ballistics, and it
says its the wrong password. So I can't use the RC to run AUTOCHK.

Now I have a few password restting programs that I was willing to try,
however, now its saying that it cannot find the partition, so I can't run
the programs on the system.

I did fdisk again and sure enough, the partition is there and active,
Windows starts to boot from it, but can't run the AUTOCHK and none of the
programs can see the partition.

Can anyone help me with this.

Need to find a way to get this machine back up and running without having to
reformat the drive as the data (as always) is critical.

Thanks.

Cyskon wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> My dilemma,
>
> I have a Compaq Evo N1020v laptop that had GoBack on it. GoBack got fried
> and would not allow the machine to go past it's bootup screen, and in order
> to get the machine past that point, I did a FDISK /MBR to remove GoBack as
> all the other options would not work.
>
> Now, the machine starts to boot Win XP, but then reaches a point where it
> tries to load AUTOCHK, but then says its missing and that it will skip the
> check, then the machine reboots and that's the cycle.
>
> I booted from the install CD, selected the Repair option in order to drop
> down to the repair console. When I get there and I select the installation I
> wish to repair and it asks me for password, I enter the password which I
> know it is and which I was using before the GoBack went ballistics, and it
> says its the wrong password. So I can't use the RC to run AUTOCHK.
>
> Now I have a few password restting programs that I was willing to try,
> however, now its saying that it cannot find the partition, so I can't run
> the programs on the system.
>
> I did fdisk again and sure enough, the partition is there and active,
> Windows starts to boot from it, but can't run the AUTOCHK and none of the
> programs can see the partition.
>
> Can anyone help me with this.
>
> Need to find a way to get this machine back up and running without having to
> reformat the drive as the data (as always) is critical.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds to me like GoBack failing was only a symptom of a failing hard drive.

Here's what I'd do.

1. Slave the drive in another machine and backup datafiles if the drive
can be accessed.

2. Test the drive with the manufacturers diagnostic utility. If it comes
back clean then run CHKDSK /R against it.

Steve