Sign in with
Your question

Hmm.. Should I wait for the 2900XTX or go with the 2900XT?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2007 4:49:26 AM

After hearing the XTX is going to be pushed back til June I'm starting to get a bit impatient. =\ Should I wait for it or go with 2900XT? Is the difference between the 2 the clock speeds, RAM, & GDDR4 (for XTX)? Is there going to be a big performance difference because of these? At least big enough to warrant the extra wait that is...

More about : hmm wait 2900xtx 2900xt

April 24, 2007 5:38:32 AM

Buy an 8800GTX :lol: 
April 24, 2007 5:41:00 AM

Why do people ask questions like this without any solid information, but only possibly a few hours before such infomation comes out..
Related resources
April 24, 2007 5:45:39 AM

Quote:
Why do people ask questions like this without any solid information, but only possibly a few hours before such infomation comes out..

After reading around a bit, that's the info I've got so far. I was wondering if anyone else knew more than that is all.
April 24, 2007 5:47:55 AM

Quote:

After reading around a bit, that's the info I've got so far. I was wondering if anyone else knew more than that is all.

Heh - no worries, but if they did, we'd all be talking about it as at this stage it's the most highly anticipated news for this forum.
April 24, 2007 6:08:59 AM

Quote:

Heh - no worries, but if they did, we'd all be talking about it as at this stage it's the most highly anticipated news for this forum.

Meh, so I got the ball rolling early! :p  lol
April 24, 2007 7:08:14 AM

get the 2900XT or the 2600 just DONT GET ANY NVIDIA CRAP !! :lol: 
April 24, 2007 7:09:14 AM

Quote:
get the 2900XT or the 2600 just DONT GET ANY NVIDIA CRAP !!

Nvidia is not "CRAP"

its just has special needs....
April 24, 2007 8:10:27 AM

Quote:
get the 2900XT or the 2600 just DONT GET ANY NVIDIA CRAP !!

Nvidia is not "CRAP"

its just has special needs....

hahahaha....now your just throwing wood into the fire :lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2007 11:19:09 AM

If you can buy a HD2900XT today, go for it. It would sell for a big premium on ebay. If you can't buy them today, why ask such a question when we have so little info on either card?
April 24, 2007 11:25:27 AM

Quote:
If you can buy a HD2900XT today, go for it. It would sell for a big premium on ebay. If you can't buy them today, why ask such a question when we have so little info on either card?

No kidding, we are all in the dark right now. The press in Tunisia probably know the answer to that question, but they can't tell us for several weeks. Thank you AMD, you just had to make them sign non-disclosure agreements! :evil: 
April 25, 2007 4:38:32 PM

man.. this has to be one of the most irritating waits ever.. what was the initial projection for release.. december '06? eh!

i am banking on one of the reporters that met in tunisia leaking some info. lol
. lucky b*stards.
April 25, 2007 4:44:11 PM

maybe their plan all along was to not only perfect the r600s but time travel as well.so not only do they release a perfect card but they can go back and release it early.
April 25, 2007 4:49:10 PM

Quote:
maybe their plan all along was to not only perfect the r600s but time travel as well.so not only do they release a perfect card but they can go back and release it early.

lol maybe.. either way.. if they dont come out soon i will have to go with a gts..
April 25, 2007 5:20:23 PM

I thought only Jesus and Mr. Rogers could time travel

.....one of them sold us out
April 25, 2007 5:28:10 PM

Man this is aggrivating waiting, my whole system is just waiting to be built, the only thing I'm waiting on is the R600! Gahhhh.. and the XTX better come out right away!
April 25, 2007 5:35:12 PM

Are you saying you already have all the parts except the R600, or you already know what you are going to buy, and ur just waiting for the R600

If you already bought the parts, that sux :p 
April 25, 2007 6:06:20 PM

Quote:
Man this is aggrivating waiting, my whole system is just waiting to be built, the only thing I'm waiting on is the R600! Gahhhh.. and the XTX better come out right away!

So you bought all your parts before the R600 was even released? Why the hell would you do that?
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 25, 2007 6:26:28 PM

My suggestion is wait. The 2900XT's are going to be selling for a preium when they first come out and letting that settle down will give you time to find out more about the XTX. Don't just the gun yet. Nvidia might counter with lower prices and the ATI may have to counter as well. You don't know. I'm waiting till the dust settles before buying my next card... which will most likely be ATI unless they scare me away somehow.
April 25, 2007 6:30:04 PM

Get a 6800xt they r sooo fast!!1!!11 :lol: 

Wait on benchies dewd, we all are. :wink:
April 25, 2007 7:05:57 PM

Quote:
Get a 6800xt they r sooo fast!!1!!11 :lol: 

Wait on benchies dewd, we all are. :wink:

Why not get two? SLi Ftw. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 25, 2007 11:56:17 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you already have all the parts except the R600, or you already know what you are going to buy, and ur just waiting for the R600

If you already bought the parts, that sux :p 

Quote:
So you bought all your parts before the R600 was even released? Why the hell would you do that?

Of course I didn't buy the parts yet! lol why would I do that? But I know what I want, it's all in stock, just no R600 yet. And price isn't really a big issue since I got a friend who works at ATI & I can get any card for 50% off. :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 12:00:51 AM

In that case, then yeah, the XTX is definitely worth it at 50% off.
April 26, 2007 12:03:56 AM

Quote:
Of course I didn't buy the parts yet! lol why would I do that? But I know what I want, it's all in stock, just no R600 yet. And price isn't really a big issue since I got a friend who works at ATI & I can get any card for 50% off. :) 

damn you wanna sell me one.. ill pay 75% ;-)
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 12:23:31 AM

Could you ask your friend when he thinks the release date(s) are?
April 26, 2007 12:28:34 AM

She said she doesn't know about the release dates. I'm sure only certain people are given that info anyways. It's not like she's a programmer or engineer there or something. And no, she only is allowed to get a few cards a year, so I can't ask her for more. :p 
April 26, 2007 12:37:17 AM

May 17th is the rumor

and it will be hard launch and the Hd2900XT will be in high quantity...while the XTX wont...so i bet the XTX will be a high preimuim...ie im going to get 2 HD2900 XT's :) 

mmmmm take that al gore....450wats of pure graphical environmental killin
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 12:39:24 AM

Yeah, that is an awesome deal those workers have. I have an uncle who used to work for Microsoft. He could get any Microsoft software for 50% to 80% OFF! I wish he still worked there, I really could use a $20 copy of Vista.
April 26, 2007 12:47:16 AM

Tell you what. I'll buy an ATI card from you for 10.00 more than anybody else offers you.
April 26, 2007 1:08:10 AM

Quote:

With that setup you could even render the world being destroyed for old gorey before it happens!
April 26, 2007 1:46:49 AM

Quote:

You forgot about Dr. WHO!
April 26, 2007 1:54:40 AM

Quote:
May 17th is the rumor

and it will be hard launch and the Hd2900XT will be in high quantity...while the XTX wont...so i bet the XTX will be a high preimuim...ie im going to get 2 HD2900 XT's :) 

didnt they confirm it everywhere it was on the 14th?
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 1:57:18 AM

Quote:
Tell you what. I'll buy an ATI card from you for 10.00 more than anybody else offers you.

Well in that case I can offer to pay $1mILLion dollars, since you've agreed to pay $1mil + 10. :twisted:
April 26, 2007 2:08:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that is an awesome deal those workers have. I have an uncle who used to work for Microsoft. He could get any Microsoft software for 50% to 80% OFF! I wish he still worked there, I really could use a $20 copy of Vista.

*Has huge grin as he stared down at you*

I can grab Vista Ultimate from my university computer store for like $15.
April 26, 2007 2:53:35 AM

DEAL OMGXXXORSSSS A GFX CARD FOR A MILLION$$$$$$$$
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 7:31:39 PM

I forgot about that, I will also be able to get Vista in college next year, so I guess the loss wasn't really that big.

Hey, I like this, the rumors are moving the date sooner. I sure hope it will be the 14th, that would be perfect timing. Do the rumors still say XT and XTX or just XT?
April 26, 2007 7:34:43 PM

i think the 14 is to soon.. i say a week later.. and from my understanding, which is probably wrong 8O , it looks like the XT will be in high demand and the XTX will be very scare, if its even released at this time..

that card will be so hot that it could poop in tinfoil roll it up, put some fish hooks on it and give it to the queen of england as earrings.
April 26, 2007 8:07:33 PM

Quote:

Well in that case I can offer to pay $1mILLion dollars, since you've agreed to pay $1mil + 10. :twisted:

Now you're screwed if he can get 2 cards... :D 
April 26, 2007 10:29:57 PM

Quote:

that card will be so hot that it could poop in tinfoil roll it up, put some fish hooks on it and give it to the queen of england as earrings.

Hmm very nice 8.5/10 for that one ;) 
April 26, 2007 10:45:39 PM

r u kidding me.. that was a double back flip greg pougainus
April 27, 2007 1:17:05 AM

Quote:

Hey, I like this, the rumors are moving the date sooner.

I like how Ati keeps putting out these fake release dates.Perhaps to boost their dying stocks?

What i wanna know is how it [the card benchmarked by dailytech] can't even match the 6 month old 8800's performance even with better,slightly higher clocked memory, a faster core, and like twice as many streamers. :cry: 

But still. Even when r600 comes out. The difference won't be a blowout like when the core 2 duos decimated all of Amd's offerings, and still manages to do so today. :lol: 
April 27, 2007 1:19:48 AM

i am a loyal intel and nvidia fan. but i think amd has this one with gpus.. the r600 will own.. i bet they sat around and watched the 8800s and thats why they hesitated in releasing their crap. either way.. im pretty sure im going with the xt
April 27, 2007 1:29:32 AM

Have you looked at any of the benchmarks? R600 will not "own", the XT may be a better buy than the GTS if it is priced right but atm the XTX looks like nothing close to beating the GTX in DX9. There are a lot of variables left.
April 27, 2007 1:36:09 AM

honeslty.. f dx9.. ok 10 fps.. which i bet the xtx has over the gtx, will not show a difference when u are runnin' 150-200 fps..

dx10.. i bet the xtx will own.. its really hard to say tho without alot of benchmarks.. but ati did the rightthing in watching the competition.

in the end i think it will go to ati because of the memory interface but then again im drunk

either way.. no one know because there are NO DX10 GAMES OUT lol.. but we really wont know for another few months.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 1:53:33 AM

Quote:

My offer was only for that one card. :twisted:

* Offer void where humour is not appreciated, and any attempt to cash in in said regions will result in some ILL ions heading your way, may cause drowsiness, dry mouth, anal leakage, headaches, naseau, leprosy. R600 should only be taken externally, shoudl accidental consumption occur do not induce vomitting, allow part to pass through digestive system as punishment; do not swim for up to 4 hrs after ingestion. Do not destroy in fiire, use gamma ray machine to detroy and then jetison part via the nearest pneumatic tube. Nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure. Void where prohibited by law, not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. And most importantly of all DON'T PANIC !!
April 27, 2007 2:24:28 AM

Quote:

you forgot chuck norris.

Quote:

*Has huge grin as he stared down at you*

I can grab Vista Ultimate from my university computer store for like $15.
buy me one? ;) 

Quote:
Have you looked at any of the benchmarks? R600 will not "own", the XT may be a better buy than the GTS if it is priced right but atm the XTX looks like nothing close to beating the GTX in DX9. There are a lot of variables left.

these benchmarks looks way too fake.
besides, most "leaks" showed R600 beating gtx for a good thing..
I wonder if someone paid dailytech to spread r600 fud to make AMD go to bankrupt even faster o_o
Anonymous
April 27, 2007 2:25:24 AM

buy non. go with 8800gtx.
April 27, 2007 2:35:05 AM

yeah im not set on the given results but i'd wait
April 27, 2007 3:07:41 AM

Quote:

My offer was only for that one card. :twisted:

* Offer void where humour is not appreciated, and any attempt to cash in in said regions will result in some ILL ions heading your way, may cause drowsiness, dry mouth, anal leakage<--- it's seepage damnit!, headaches, naseau, leprosy. R600 should only be taken externally, shoudl accidental consumption occur do not induce vomitting, allow part to pass through digestive system as punishment; do not swim for up to 4 hrs after ingestion. Do not destroy in fiire, use gamma ray machine to detroy and then jetison part via the nearest pneumatic tube. Nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure. Void where prohibited by law, not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. And most importantly of all DON'T PANIC !!
fixed it :twisted: 8O
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!