Will this thermal paste be ok?..for this cpu.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
i have a AMD athlon64 3800+..socket AM2

and im gonna replace the motherboard soon.. and was wondering about reapplying new thermal paste when remove/reinstall the heatsink...

Does it matter what kind i get.. or anything like that..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007
was kinda what i was looking at.. but if i get it at a local store.. just wondering if i'd need a certain kinda.. or if any would be fine..
how much do i put on.. do i spread it.. steps//advice appreciated .

THANKS.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The AS5 you linked, should be fine. It's what most people use, and what most recommend, although there are newer thermal pastes around. I don't think you can go wrong with AS5.

As long as you put it on "right". Depending on who you ask, or who gives you advice, it could be the "as small as a grain of rice, and spread" or "use a credit card/razor blade, to spread it thinly across". If it gets confusing, just head to Artic Silver's site, and you can download the instructions or simply print them out from there. I personally still use the razor blade method, but I've been doing that since AS3. I kind of have my own technique on getting a nice thin layer of paste on the HSF.

Good luck.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The -best- way to apply AS5 (or any thermal paste/grease, for that matter) is to spread an incredibly thin layer across the heatspreader. The next best (and most often used) method is to put a rice-sized grain in the middle of the heatspreader and just stick the HSF on it, which flattens it out across the heatspreader and covers the middle part of the heatspreader (where the CPU die is).