Post super bowl set purchase - Urban Legend?

I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
and from a glut of returned TV's.

Anyone know if this is just an urban legend or not?

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about post super bowl purchase urban legend

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:51:08 -0500, Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    >will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    >and from a glut of returned TV's.

    I dunno.... I'm a bit skeptical of this. Last year, the best deals
    were between now and Christmas and we commission salespeople just
    about starved from January to March because the prices went back up.
    Traditionally, TV's aren't like clothes, where your best deals are
    AFTER Christmas, your best deals will END after Christmas and until
    closeout time.

    I hope this is true, actually. Maybe I'll be able to eat steak a
    couple of times a week in Jan-Feb.... but again, I'm highly skeptical.
    What I am inclined to say is, pick out the TV you want, find out who
    price matches, spot the best deal in town between now and Christmas,
    then take it to a competitor who gives you an additional percentage
    off on a price match (and who you want to do biz with), and buy your
    TV, then enjoy it :-)

    Fact is, your best deals will be in a couple of years, NOT between now
    and Christmas and not after Christmas either..... in the meantime,
    you've saved some money but lost out on the enjoyment of having a REAL
    TV in your home for yours, and your family's enjoyment.

    Just my 2 cents :-)

    "Sean" <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    > will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    > and from a glut of returned TV's.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is just an urban legend or not?

    That's reasonable but it may not work out that way. There are always lots
    of variables in the retail business. Prices may be driven down low enough
    by competition before the Super Bowl that there's not much room for price
    reductions afterward.

    Also the value of the dollar is decreasing right now, although not very much
    against the Asian currencies. At some point that will change and the change
    could be rapid. When it does, the price of everything made in Asia will go
    up sharply.

    Plus, if you wait until after the playoffs and SB to get your HDTV, you
    won't be able to watch them on it. That's worth at least what you could
    save after the SB, right there!

    mack
    austin

    In article <jq88q09aq1ijn3tkl30m49jf4nrr371b1c@4ax.com> HDTV-slingr
    <NOSPAMMERS@hotmail.com> writes:

    >On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:51:08 -0500, Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    >>will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    >>and from a glut of returned TV's.

    >I dunno.... I'm a bit skeptical of this. Last year, the best deals
    >were between now and Christmas and we commission salespeople just
    >about starved from January to March because the prices went back up.
    >Traditionally, TV's aren't like clothes, where your best deals are
    >AFTER Christmas, your best deals will END after Christmas and until
    >closeout time.

    It's going to depend in large part on how well pre-holiday sales actually
    go in terms of volume versus back room inventory levels. Everyone is
    "predicting" record sales volumes on wide screen TVs this holiday season
    mostly because of pent-up demand. If these predictions come true then
    leftover inventories could be minimal and there will be no reason to blow
    out the remaining sets at fire sale prices. However, many retailers are
    laying in huge stocks, literally betting the ranch. Will they be wrong?
    Will they have ordered too many?

    "Sean" <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    > will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    > and from a glut of returned TV's.
    >
    > Anyone know if this is just an urban legend or not?
    >
    > Thanks

    Most major retailers will price match up to 30 days after the sale, buy from
    one that has this policy so if there is a "big" sale after Christmas you can
    realize the benefits from the price drop.

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:51:08 -0500, Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    >will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    >and from a glut of returned TV's.
    >
    >Anyone know if this is just an urban legend or not?
    >
    >Thanks

    Yeah, I'd think the price will be lower after the super bowl than
    immediately before, but you might see a better sale between now and
    then.

    I was in Circuit City tonight, the day before thanksgiving, and while
    I was standing there looking at a TV, an employee comes up and swaps
    out the price card. Both said SALE!!!!, but the new one was $100
    HIGHER.

    So much for the big after Thanksgiving sales ;)

    In truth, one set actually came down in price, but it was pretty much
    a clearance item anyway, you could get it for the same price at
    amazon.com with free shipping.

    I think you'll just have to track the prices. It'll be dependent on
    how sales go between now and xmas. A real price drop will be pretty
    obvious. I don't see much price variation except for the junk stuff.

    "Gomer Jones" <Iamnot@liberty.com> wrote:

    >"Sean" <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    >> will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    >> and from a glut of returned TV's.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if this is just an urban legend or not?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    >Most major retailers will price match up to 30 days after the sale, buy from
    >one that has this policy so if there is a "big" sale after Christmas you can
    >realize the benefits from the price drop.

    Just don't buy until after Jan 6 since the Superbowl is Feb 6.

    joemooreaterolsdotcom

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:44:05 GMT, Joe Moore <munged@bad.example.com>
    wrote:

    >"Gomer Jones" <Iamnot@liberty.com> wrote:
    >

    >>"Sean" <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have heard from more than 1 person that the price of big screen TV's
    >>> will be less immediately after the super bowl due to reduced demand
    >>> and from a glut of returned TV's.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know if this is just an urban legend or not?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >>Most major retailers will price match up to 30 days after the sale, buy from
    >>one that has this policy so if there is a "big" sale after Christmas you can
    >>realize the benefits from the price drop.
    >
    >Just don't buy until after Jan 6 since the Superbowl is Feb 6.

    Won't be an issue here. Our local ABC affiliate is owned by Sinclair
    who doesn't have enough money to upgrade to HDTV.
    Thumper

    >joemooreaterolsdotcom

    To reply drop XYZ in address

    "Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > Won't be an issue here. Our local ABC affiliate is owned by Sinclair
    > who doesn't have enough money to upgrade to HDTV.

    Sinclair has revenues of over $700 million with an after tax profit of $25
    million

    It's not poverty, but a long standing corporate desire NOT to broadcast HD
    and instead use the maximum amount possible of the public airwaves licensed
    to them for pay data services - and the minimum allowed by law to broadcast
    advertiser supported free TV. They tried mightily to stop HD and instead get
    new regulation to render all sold-to-date ATSC receivers inoperative via a
    shift in modulation standard that would have allowed them to sell more
    profitable mobile broadband data services.

    Here in Richmond, the Sinclair digital station didn't even transmit the real
    network SD feed, but instead digitized a ghost and noise filled over-the-air
    signal literally taken from a set of rabbit ears at the DT transmitter...
    all within the letter of the law but completely brazen in violation of the
    spirit of the law.

    Sinclair is the zero by which all others are judged.

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:36:44 -0500, "Randy Sweeney"
    <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote:

    >"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >

    >> Won't be an issue here. Our local ABC affiliate is owned by Sinclair
    >> who doesn't have enough money to upgrade to HDTV.
    >

    >Sinclair has revenues of over $700 million with an after tax profit of $25
    >million
    >
    >It's not poverty, but a long standing corporate desire NOT to broadcast HD
    >and instead use the maximum amount possible of the public airwaves licensed
    >to them for pay data services - and the minimum allowed by law to broadcast
    >advertiser supported free TV. They tried mightily to stop HD and instead get
    >new regulation to render all sold-to-date ATSC receivers inoperative via a
    >shift in modulation standard that would have allowed them to sell more
    >profitable mobile broadband data services.
    >
    >Here in Richmond, the Sinclair digital station didn't even transmit the real
    >network SD feed, but instead digitized a ghost and noise filled over-the-air
    >signal literally taken from a set of rabbit ears at the DT transmitter...
    >all within the letter of the law but completely brazen in violation of the
    >spirit of the law.
    >
    >Sinclair is the zero by which all others are judged.

    It's time we protested their licenses.
    Thumper
    To reply drop XYZ in address

HDTV TV Home Theatre Product