ATI HD 2900xt benchmark

moonhunter

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT puts up some impressive numbers in benchmarks

After several delays, AMD plans to launch its long-awaited R600 graphics processors in mid-May. AMD is currently briefing select members of the press on its R600 architecture in the Tunisia, but there is no embargo date on the R600 for DailyTech -- we can show you benchmarks now.

AMD plans to launch a completely new DirectX 10 lineup with the flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX. Other models such as the Radeon HD 2900 XT, Radeon HD 2600-series and Radeon HD 2400-series will also join AMD’s DirectX 10 family after the initial high-end launches.

AMD equips the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with 320 stream processors to take on NVIDIA’s GeForce 8800 GTS, which features 96 stream processors. However, AMD and NVIDIA have taken different approaches towards their unified shader designs. AMD pairs the R600 GPU with 512MB of GDDR3 memory clocked at 1.65 GHz across an eight-channel, 512-bit memory interface. In comparison, the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS features 640MB of 1.6 GHz GDDR3 memory on a 320-bit memory interface.

AMD equips the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with a dual-slot, blower-type heat sink. Unlike the OEM Radeon HD 2900-series previously pictured, which is an 11.5” long card, the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT makes use of a smaller cooler so everything fits within the 9.5” PCB. Although the R600 GPU supports HDMI audio and video output, the our reference design only features dual dual-link DVI.

Onto the benchmarks, the tests were conducted on an Intel D975XBX2 BadAxe2, Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 and 2x1GB DDR2-800 MHz. The operating system on the test system was Windows XP, with a fresh install before benchmarking each card. Testing of the AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT was performed using the 8.361 Catalyst RC4 drivers, while the GeForce 8800 GTS used ForceWare 158.19 drivers.

All game tests were run with the maximum detail settings at resolutions of 1280x1024. Futuremark’s 3DMark06 was tested with the default settings.

Expect AMD to pull the wraps off its DirectX 10 product line up in mid-May, with value, midrange and high end models to boot. AMD’s flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900-series will have two models at launch – the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX and the HD 2900 XT. The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX models feature 1GB of GDDR4 memory while the lower HD 2900 XT features 512 MB.

The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT is poised to have a street price approximately the same as the GeForce 8800 GTS, which carries an MSRP of $499.
Taken from Daily Tech:Ati hd2900xt

Dunno know real or not. Just hope it is real and we can get a good card

ps : sorry not able to post the benchmark here. If u wan to see the benchmark ,please click the link.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Like i said b4

Nice very niiiiiiice
Now wait for all the fanboys to come out and say : yea but it was this motherboard or memory or monitor or it was done at night or this driver or that setting, Or its photo shop or they had flames on there card, they cheated that gives another 10% FPS.
boo hoo.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
i hope that new drivers give it a little more juice. Nvidia hasn`t been sleeping the past months, so it needs to be faster to counter Nvidia`s next move.

seeing these numbers, i`m sure the xtx version with gddr4 will beat the gtx version from Nvidia. would be nice to see it topping the 8900(?).

but then again: these are dx10 cards without even dx10 drivers, let alone games............ so whe still know nothing for the next few weeks/ months :( dx9c games play perfect on my current hardware so those numbers don`t mean to much.

mpjesse

Splendid
I'm sorry guys, but these numbers are pathetic. It's barely faster than the GTS. Yeah, for the same price, the XT is clearly the better deal. But when you consider that the GTS has been on the market for 6 months... this is sad. And w/ the XTX reportedly pushed to next quarter... well... I think ya'll get the picture.

I really hope AMD is working hard on the R600's successor because nVidia sure isn't sitting on its arse.

pauldh

Illustrious
It's nice to see pics of the shorter retail R600. Fudzilla claims that the GDDR4 XTX is delayed and this will be the top card at launch.

As far as performance(MPJesse), it's hard to go by when all they tested was one resolution. It beats the 8800GTS by a good margin in some games, but in the others is it equal or are we 1280x1024 CPU bottlenecked? Anyway, good to have this much info, but the 12x10 only testing hurts the weight of the results. Too bad they didn't have the GTX in there too.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Ouch, Tom's continues to trail Anand.

I'm with mpjesse though that after all this time it would have been nice to see a release from DAAMIT that raises the bar in some significant way.

Now the fun part will be seeing how each company's approach holds up when DX10 shows up.

It is still a while before the cards can be bought but I will state prematurely that it is about time the competition is back on.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I'm sorry guys, but these numbers are pathetic. It's barely faster than the GTS. Yeah, for the same price, the XT is clearly the better deal. .

BARELY ?????
In most of the Workstation BM's the hd2900 was ahead by 25-35%
The games vary a lot but up to 30% the most important 3d mark was about 16% nothing to sneeze @.
still early days.

mpjesse

Splendid
The games vary a lot but up to 30% the most important 3d mark was about 16% nothing to sneeze @.
still early days.

I'm not sure how to respond to that. Comparing a brand new card to a card that's over 6 months old and having only 16% to show for it is something to sneeze at. But that's just my opinion...

Still, Paul has a point about the resolutions. It may end up being a killer in higher resolutions and in DX10 games. All I'm saying is the preliminary benchmarks are pathetic IMO. I do hope I'm wrong.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
The 2900 XT looks very nice, but the price is a bit high for me. I can't wait to see the 2600 series, hopefully they are better than the 8600 series.

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
that video looks just like.... everyother video game :twisted: .. sureee the particles.... the falling ice thingos .... so?

i say, the rock demo on fudzilla looks more realistic 8O

im serious.. check fudzilla and look for a screenshot comparision the rock looks very very good....

( or maybe its just me :x )

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Woohoo, that's awesome! :twisted:
ATI is going to rock again like they did with the X1900Series cards.
things are gonna get extremely hard for 8800Series cards. :twisted:

pignoli

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Whilr this is all very interesting and exciting, I can't help but to feel it's also all a bit... pointless.

Yes, you can buy a DX10 card now and get decent performance in DX9 games, but for most people there's no point: generally any DX10 card will be satisfactory for DX9 games, that tells you nothing about what matters in this case. Until there are DX10 games and proper DX10 benchmarks to go with them, all this stuff is fairly meaningless.

DarkTide

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
After 6 months I have to say I'm not really that impressed. It's certainly a nice card, but meh. I'll reserve my final judgment for real benchies at a decent resolution.

The thought that lingers in my mind is that if nVidia decides to slash the prices on the current G80 line up, the 8800 could still be the better purchase with superior price/performance, and really good performance at that.

I don't think DAAMIT can handle two harsh price wars at once.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hahaha.. 6 months for this!!!

What ever happend to "no problems with our cards... we just want a full launch of all cards - that was our intention all along." - BS

Now the high end is getting delayed... you guys can keep waiting another 6months. I'll pick up a cheap 8800 or a new 8900.

At least well see Nvidia drop some prices - well, when the ATI cards actually come out (not a paper launch... yeah, right :wink: ).

I do not know how you can spin this as good news. Only the high res benchies may tell a different story.

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Okay... so you guys believe this crap? Once again, let me be the voice of reason here: where did they get this phantom card from? Why are they the only ones with access to this lone phantom card? Why in the hell would ATI let them have the only single card that seems to exists (it seems to be handed around like a joint between people, with no one ever sending out pictures of it in their system or anything)? Why would they not give the press full-disclosure access in Tunisia this week, but they let this one site have the ONLY card in existence? Come on... this is crap. There's NO NEW INFORMATION ANYWHERE in this article, just a mish-mash of all the info we've gotten already from other sources, with a little bit of numbers thrown in for post-points.
Using stock photos doesnt help the argument, either.... the only photos in that article I've seen 10 times before in other places. Also, why in the heck would you bench it against the 8800GTS? They won't even be at the same price point after launch! By the time this thing launches (6 months late), the GTX's will be around the $500 mark. I'm not speculating on performance numbers just because anything that I've seen so far is just that: speculation and conjecture. Remember: just because they made you wait for it, doesnt mean that it's going to live up to the hype.
As a side note, if the 2900's do wipe the floor with the 8800's, I'm probably going back to ATI, depending on where they are when I'm going to upgrade. Like I said, I'm no fanboy, just a guy who wants the best performance for the money. And no, when I'm ready to upgrade, I'm not going to wait until the next best thing comes out that's "right around the corner", because, as we've seen, it's never just right around the corner.

pauldh

Illustrious
Who actually thought the XTX would launch with the others? We have heard rumors for ages the XT GDDR3 would be the top launched card for now. If we see an XTX GDDR4 at the same time, I'd be very surprised. But if this XT matches a GTX for less money, what's the big issue.

pauldh

Illustrious
There's NO NEW INFORMATION ANYWHERE in this article, just a mish-mash of all the info we've gotten already from other sources, with a little bit of numbers thrown in for post-points.
Using stock photos doesnt help the argument, either.... the only photos in that article I've seen 10 times before in other places.
Show me a few of these 10 places. I think you are confusing the single slot HD 2600XT pics with these new dual slot retail HD 2900XT pics. This is the first time I have seen this card.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Who actually thought the XTX would launch with the others? We have heard rumors for ages the XT GDDR3 would be the top launched card for now. If we see an XTX GDDR4 at the same time, I'd be very surprised. But if this XT matches a GTX for less money, what's the big issue.

PCGH: Hi Vijay. AMD decided not to launch R600 officially at Cebit. Can you give us a clue, what was your reason to do or not do so?

Vijay Sharma [Director of Desktop Discrete Product Marketing at AMD]: Sure. Our initial plan as you're probably aware was to do an NDA press media event this week just before Cebit at Amsterdam. And we realized that we had two derivative products of R600 coming. So we had a whole family of R600-products coming within 45, 60 days of each other. So we said rather than have the press come to Amsterdam before Cebit and then another month later do another event lets talk about the whole family at once and include desktop and mobile products as well. So we have a very strong story and we choose to hold on the R600 and have a combined event later in april.

PCGH: Another word on the family of R6x. You plan to introduce all products at once you said. Does that include mobile products?

Vijay Sharma: Right now we're looking at a whole family of products. So there's a whole set of R600-class mobile products and desktop products. And so we do one big tech event for the press under NDA. And then following that will be the announcements, formal public announcements for the products.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=573129

cleeve

Illustrious
Nobody will know for sure until the NDA has been lifted, but this info seems viable to me.
The benches are too low res to be all that useful, but it's certainly not a bad sign.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't really matter when it was supposed to launch when it comes to wether it's a good buy or not... if they launch it at a good price for it's performance, kudos to 'em.
Sucks that they were late, but if they can beat the competition by at least 10% while costing less money, the card will be a success.

If it can't deliver though, it'll be a hard blow to AMD/Ati.

U238

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I'm sure the cards will be great.

I wish they would have come out when I was buying my compuer in Nov/Dec 2006. At the time I very seriously debated waiting for the R600 to release (at that time it was thought it'd be Jan/Feb 2007). All I have to say is I'm very glad I did not wait.

Personally it'll be interesting to see how it does. But that's about it. They're late to the game and I've already bought a card this generation. Maybe next generation they can show up on time and I may purchase whatever they have to offer.