HDTV Eye Doctor????

I love my crt hdtv altho I have tuned down the contrast it seems to cause
my eye to strain even with a light on. I have been told that a rear
projection CRT would have less eye strain than a direct view. Silly
question but is this true
5 answers Last reply
More about hdtv doctor

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:17:58 GMT, me <me@nospamm.com> wrote:

    >I love my crt hdtv altho I have tuned down the contrast it seems to cause
    >my eye to strain even with a light on. I have been told that a rear
    >projection CRT would have less eye strain than a direct view. Silly
    >question but is this true

    Two important questions: How far away are you from the screen and how
    old are you?

    -Dr. Jeff

    Jeff OTF wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:17:58 GMT, me <me@nospamm.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I love my crt hdtv altho I have tuned down the contrast it seems to cause
    >>my eye to strain even with a light on. I have been told that a rear
    >>projection CRT would have less eye strain than a direct view. Silly
    >>question but is this true
    >

    > Two important questions: How far away are you from the screen and how
    > old are you?
    >
    > -Dr. Jeff

    12 to 18 feet.
    Pai9d my dues I will retire very soon

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:55:46 GMT, Me <me@nnospam.com> wrote:

    >Jeff OTF wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:17:58 GMT, me <me@nospamm.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I love my crt hdtv altho I have tuned down the contrast it seems to cause
    >>>my eye to strain even with a light on. I have been told that a rear
    >>>projection CRT would have less eye strain than a direct view. Silly
    >>>question but is this true
    >>

    >> Two important questions: How far away are you from the screen and how
    >> old are you?
    >>
    >> -Dr. Jeff
    >>

    >12 to 18 feet.
    >Pai9d my dues I will retire very soon

    Assuming that your distance vision, which is defined as 20 feet and
    beyond, is corrected properly, you may need a presciption that is
    slightly different for use at 12 feet. Once a person gets past their
    late 40's, they usually do not have enough accommodation (the ability
    to change focus) to see as comfortably as they used to at that 5 to 15
    feet range.

    A progressive ("no-line") bifocal may be the answer because it has
    those intermediate ranges built in. However, depending on the angle of
    the direction of the TV, there may be a slight head tilt necessary to
    see where you want to see.

    Some of my patients chose to simply leave their distance prescription
    slightly under corrected if they are near-sighted or slightly over
    corrected if they are far-sighted.

    Hopefully, I answered your question.

    -Dr. Jeff

    Great info Dr Jeff!!

    I'm 46 and and got my first set of bifocals (no-line).
    I got over the "Fishbowl effect" in just a few days.

    When I get back into my house (Hurricane Ivan) in a
    few months and build the new Home Theater, if I run
    into a prob I'll make a pleading post for help here. LOL

    Going with a 60" Plasma, LCD, or DLP.
    And have about 20' of viewing distance to adjust
    with to adapt to now watching a 60".

    --
    Ric Seyler

    "Jeff OTF" <DONOTSPAMjeffotf@bigfoot.com> wrote
    > Assuming that your distance vision, which is defined as 20 feet and
    > beyond, is corrected properly, you may need a presciption that is
    > slightly different for use at 12 feet. Once a person gets past their
    > late 40's, they usually do not have enough accommodation (the ability
    > to change focus) to see as comfortably as they used to at that 5 to 15
    > feet range.
    >
    > A progressive ("no-line") bifocal may be the answer because it has
    > those intermediate ranges built in. However, depending on the angle of
    > the direction of the TV, there may be a slight head tilt necessary to
    > see where you want to see.
    >
    > Some of my patients chose to simply leave their distance prescription
    > slightly under corrected if they are near-sighted or slightly over
    > corrected if they are far-sighted.

    I wear bifocals and had a pair of "TV glasses" made. They just use the
    top -- distance-viewing -- part of the bifocal lens prescription. Wearing
    them, I can lean way back in my recliner and watch TV in comfort without
    having to struggle with my bifocals to keep the TV in focus.

    mack
    austin

HDTV CRT Monitors Home Theatre