Vista described as a $200 service pack

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I like it over XP for these reasons:

a) Aero (Once you use it you will never go back to XP)
b) Seems a bit snappier than XP
c) Everything seems more organized in Vista
d) Readyboost allows me to put some use to my old flash drives
e) UAC which I leave on for my other family members so it is harder for them to do something stupid
f) Speech Recognition (I thought I would never use it but when I don't feel like using my arms I turn it on)

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
If you look at it only as security patch, then indeed it is does not worth $200. I thought that there is something else in Vista then just security (and DRM :) )

And why $200? Home premium can be found around $150 (link with free shipping, mind you) and Home Basic can be found cheaper than $100

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
No, Its a bad review.

The author fails to grasp much of how Vista runs under the hood and seems to talk more about what is visually apparent.

At this point in time, however, Vista is not ready for Prime Time for a number of reasons ranging from hardware support lacking, multitudes of software not working and needing to be upgraded, as well as some fundamental design issues that will need to be addressed.

Most of these things should be worked out in the next year one way or another. I would be shooting for Vista around the time that SP1 ships.

The only people that should upgrade to Vista today are those who have very specific needs and those are few.

If I were to purchase a PC today that came pre-installed with Vista, I doubt I would wipe it for XP unless I found my software did not work. What I would not do is take a perfectly good XP PC and toss Vista on it.

Also if I was building a PC from scratch, I would not place Vista on it unless it was a secondary PC that I would not worry if it had issues.