trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I am doing a qucik project in physics and i am wondering if I can measure the Voltage and Amps of the PSU using the volt meter by connecting it with one of the power connectors. or would that not work? and Is there a program that allows u to check the PSU in general like the voltage and how much is used ?
thanks

Yes a decent AC/DC ammeter will run you about $100, I have the Craftsman #73756 true RMS +/- 1% accuracy not the best but the price is right. They have cheaper models but 3% accuracy is a travesty. I got mine on sale for $70 8)

If you can't afford one of those, then your next best bet is to hack up an ATX extension cable carefully so you can put the ammeter inline (I'll assume you already know how to measure voltage / current) on the appropriate rail.

If you are measuring power, I would take the voltage and current readings concurrently (using a second dmm for voltage measurement) on a per-rail basis, and take an average of five readings or so... ok well you are in a physics class so I can assume you know all the lab procedures as well :wink:

If you're time sensitive and need to plot voltage / current / power vs time, why not try a camcorder and a stopwatch, then it is only painful to calibrate the physical stopwatch and the on-screen stopwatch... Ok I'll stop ranting now :oops:

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
alright thats fine thanks for yall help I do have a Meter that will be provided for me from the school so no worries there. i just wanted to know if I Could do it without much problems.