Sign in with
Your question

Fedora questions

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 31, 2007 10:03:20 PM

I need Linux installed for school work(programming and getting used to the unix environment) and am chosing to get Fedora because it's what we use at my university.

I was wondering how much disk space the Workstation install takes. I'll only be using it for programming Perl and NASM so I want to make the partition as small as possible to keep more space.

The Fedora site says it can range from a few hundred MB to 9+GB depending on what you install, but doesn't specify which install types require how much space.

I was thinking of a 10GB partition to install it and save my work, does it sound reasonable?

More about : fedora questions

February 3, 2007 12:46:59 AM

I agree with linux_0 here, the dev tools are going to take up some considerable room, so plan on around 10 gigs for a comfortable install.

I also echo the sentiments that, especially for "all business" installs, go 64-bit. The only weaknesses of an x64 install deal with things such as having to have a 32-bit browser to have Flash and Java plugin (some sites require 1.5 and I haven't found a good 64-bit, 1.5-compatible 3rd party VM).

Also, as a C programmer, I am obliged to say that perl is the spawn of the devil himself :lol: 
February 3, 2007 1:49:08 AM

I agree with bmouring :-D

Fedora has the 32/64bit problems resolved, they make it very easy to install an x86_64 with a 32bit firefox which will work with flash and java just fine :-D

I know C and Perl and a few other languages and I have to say Perl is incredibly useful when used properly :-D

Quote:
I agree with linux_0 here, the dev tools are going to take up some considerable room, so plan on around 10 gigs for a comfortable install.

I also echo the sentiments that, especially for "all business" installs, go 64-bit. The only weaknesses of an x64 install deal with things such as having to have a 32-bit browser to have Flash and Java plugin (some sites require 1.5 and I haven't found a good 64-bit, 1.5-compatible 3rd party VM).

Also, as a C programmer, I am obliged to say that perl is the spawn of the devil himself :lol: 
!