Cooling My Pentium D 3.2

RDSDAN

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I just put my first PC together and I'm having problems cooling my CPU.
I am using the standard fan & heatsink that came with the CPU. I am monitoring the CPU Temp using the software that came with my DG965WH. I have adjusted the threshold temp to 140f and the Temp still goes above 160f when I start to run an older version of Tiger Woods Golf.
I have 2 80mm case fans. I have adjust the Bios as much as I can.
Can anyone give me help?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
First of all, why a PD?

Those temps are high, 71ºc under load is pretty hot, even for a PD. The best thing to do, short of getting a cooler running cpu, would be a better hsf, such as the Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120+. What are the other components in this pc?

I just put my first PC together and I'm having problems cooling my CPU.
I am using the standard fan & heatsink that came with the CPU. I am monitoring the CPU Temp using the software that came with my DG965WH. I have adjusted the threshold temp to 140f and the Temp still goes above 160f when I start to run an older version of Tiger Woods Golf.
I have 2 80mm case fans. I have adjust the Bios as much as I can.
Can anyone give me help?

case fans in the right direction?

and does your case have a duct kit on the side pannel or a fan there? makes the biggest difference

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The 900 series don't run that hot. I think his heatsink is probably mounted improperly.

DOH... my memory is going. Ya, that was more focused on P4 northy and prescott single cores... not PD. :oops: . o O (my bad)

At least he could get a C2D I think. That would really give him a cooler chip to run:

Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH

Second thought...

Ya, it's also possible the HSF may not be on there just right.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I concur with the HSF no being mounted properly, my D945 only went up to 49C under load before I put a 120mm fan in the case door that blows directly on the HSF, now temps only go to 43C under heavy load. I normally idles around 37C.

RDSDAN

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions.
I had a guy at my work who puts these things together, help me with the original setup.
We actually put the MB in before we installed the CPU & fan.
Big mistake.
The Heatsink seemed to be installed correctly and that's why I never suspected it.
But when I pulled out the MB to check, the prongs for the HS were not even on the bottom side.
I re-installed the HS and put the PC back together.
Immediately I saw a difference.
Idle temperatures went from 145f to 130.
Before the fix , when I ran the 2 minute Passmark Stress test, I could only go 10 to 15 seconds before I would get a CPU temperature error, Now I can run the whole test without any errors!

Thanks to all,

From a PC building novice!