Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

upgrading to Mobile 5

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:54:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Dell is offering a free upgrade to mobile 5 when it comes out... what are
peoples thoughts on upgrading a pocket pc with the current version on it ?
traditionally, you would never just upgrade a computer from one version of
windows to the next, your would always wipe and reload. what problems are
possible with this?

thanks

More about : upgrading mobile

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:24:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:54:01 -0700, "David Alimo"
<dmsdale@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Dell is offering a free upgrade to mobile 5 when it comes out... what are
>peoples thoughts on upgrading a pocket pc with the current version on it ?
>traditionally, you would never just upgrade a computer from one version of
>windows to the next, your would always wipe and reload. what problems are
>possible with this?

Dell may be using the word 'upgrade', but I don't think that's meant
in the same sense as we understand upgrades for other versions of
Windows. I think it will actually be "wipe and reload"

Chris
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:24:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:4hvod1ti3h4p0ole7p0pe5a5h858viod2l@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:54:01 -0700, "David Alimo"
> <dmsdale@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Dell is offering a free upgrade to mobile 5 when it comes out... what are
>>peoples thoughts on upgrading a pocket pc with the current version on it ?
>>traditionally, you would never just upgrade a computer from one version of
>>windows to the next, your would always wipe and reload. what problems are
>>possible with this?
>
> Dell may be using the word 'upgrade', but I don't think that's meant
> in the same sense as we understand upgrades for other versions of
> Windows. I think it will actually be "wipe and reload"
>
> Chris
>

You will have to do the PPC equivalent of a reformat and install. There is
no "upgrade".
If your model has a card slot, do a backup to the card, and then do a hard
reset, then install WM2005.
With luck, you will be able to reinstall from the backup, but I prefer to
install all my apps cleanly. I usually wait until I have an evening with 3
to 4 hours free to do everything.

FWIW, WM2005 adds a basic PowerPoint viewer, but I have not seen much else
that would make switching "compelling". Since Dell is offering it only for
the x50v, which is what I own, I do plan to purchase it, just to have the
..ppt functionality.

Bobby
Related resources
July 19, 2005 4:24:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

NoNoBadDog! <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
> much else that would make switching "compelling". Since Dell is
> offering it only for the x50v, which is what I own, I do plan to
> purchase it, just to have the .ppt functionality.

http://www.albatros-development.com/
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:24:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> FWIW, WM2005 adds a basic PowerPoint viewer, but I have not seen much else
> that would make switching "compelling". Since Dell is offering it only
> for the x50v, which is what I own, I do plan to purchase it, just to have
> the .ppt functionality.


buy clearview product - it is ace and covers the lot. I won't be
upgrading... From my experience of upgrades like this to a new OS - it
generally reduces available resources on the pda.

David
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:29:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o GJN%234BjFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Chris Blunt" <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote in message
> news:4hvod1ti3h4p0ole7p0pe5a5h858viod2l@4ax.com...
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:54:01 -0700, "David Alimo"
> > <dmsdale@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Dell is offering a free upgrade to mobile 5 when it comes out... what
are
> >>peoples thoughts on upgrading a pocket pc with the current version on it
?
> >>traditionally, you would never just upgrade a computer from one version
of
> >>windows to the next, your would always wipe and reload. what problems
are
> >>possible with this?
> >
> > Dell may be using the word 'upgrade', but I don't think that's meant
> > in the same sense as we understand upgrades for other versions of
> > Windows. I think it will actually be "wipe and reload"
> >
> > Chris
> >
>
> You will have to do the PPC equivalent of a reformat and install. There
is
> no "upgrade".
> If your model has a card slot, do a backup to the card, and then do a hard
> reset, then install WM2005.
> With luck, you will be able to reinstall from the backup, but I prefer to
> install all my apps cleanly. I usually wait until I have an evening with
3
> to 4 hours free to do everything.
>
> FWIW, WM2005 adds a basic PowerPoint viewer, but I have not seen much else
> that would make switching "compelling". Since Dell is offering it only
for
> the x50v, which is what I own, I do plan to purchase it, just to have the
> .ppt functionality.
>
> Bobby
>

WM5 is *seriously* different in its internals than any
of its predecessors. You will almost certainly *not* be able to
restore any backups from your previous OS other than data, and
that only if the new backup app can read the file generated by the
old backup app (I'm talking about the PPC based backup here, not
ActiveSync backups).

Your approach is the most likely to work - reinstall everything
from scratch (hoping that the apps will still work - some do not
from OS version to OS version) and then move your backed-up
data over.

I have no plans whatsoever to go to WM5- it drops support
for 802.11 sync.

>
July 20, 2005 4:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've been considering similar questions about when to buy. The thing I
thought about is that in the reviews of Windows Mobile 5 such as below, on
the screen captures it shows the use of "soft buttons" to access 2 context
sensitive menus at the bottom of the screen. So wouldn't it follow that any
new models would include 2 hardware buttons for that purpose? Thus even if
you have PPC that can be upgraded it won't be quite as nice to use because
it won't have the 2 context sensitive buttons built in. Just a thought. Any
comments?

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magnet...
July 20, 2005 8:35:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

sorry, wrong thread.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:58:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Personally, I think softkeys are awesome on Pocket PC even without
corresponding hardware buttons. They're just as easy to use by tapping the
screen. Actually, even on devices that have the hardware buttons, I still
find myself tapping the screen most of the time.

But if you end up with a device that doesn't have the buttons and *really*
want them, you can go in to the Buttons control panel and map 2 of the
buttons you *do* have (like Inbox or Contacts) to the softkeys.


"joel" <webforumuser@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ux05AVUjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I've been considering similar questions about when to buy. The thing I
> thought about is that in the reviews of Windows Mobile 5 such as below, on
> the screen captures it shows the use of "soft buttons" to access 2 context
> sensitive menus at the bottom of the screen. So wouldn't it follow that
> any new models would include 2 hardware buttons for that purpose? Thus
> even if you have PPC that can be upgraded it won't be quite as nice to use
> because it won't have the 2 context sensitive buttons built in. Just a
> thought. Any comments?
>
> http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magnet...
>
>
!