My Douments folder does not have the correct icon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The my documents folder should have a special icon with the folder and the
paper sticking out, however when I view it on the drive with explorer it is
a plain folder icon.

I will not let me right click and customize the icon, because it knows it
really IS the my documents folder.

Does anyone know how to restore the icon? thanks

Cs

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:20:55 +0300, "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com>
wrote:

>The my documents folder should have a special icon with the folder and the
>paper sticking out, however when I view it on the drive with explorer it is
>a plain folder icon.
>
>I will not let me right click and customize the icon, because it knows it
>really IS the my documents folder.
>
>Does anyone know how to restore the icon? thanks

Did you try right clicking on the desktop, "Properties" -> "Display
Properties" -> "Desktop" -> "Customize Desktop" -> "Restore Default"?

Meridian

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004

"Kenny S" wrote:

> The my documents folder should have a special icon with the folder and the
> paper sticking out, however when I view it on the drive with explorer it is
> a plain folder icon.

As far as I know, this has always been the case. If you open C:\Documents
and Settings\<user> in explorer then the My Documents folder just has a
standard folder icon.

If you really want to change it, here's how to do it:

1. Open My Documents in Explorer

2. Go to Tools > Folder Options, click on the View tab and check "Show
hidden files and folders"

3. In My Documents, double-click the hidden file Desktop to open it in
notepad and add the following 4 lines to the end:

[.ShellClassInfo]
InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-22914
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\mydocs.dll
IconIndex=-100

4. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<user> and you should get the "correct"
icon (and tooltip).

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You may be able to correct it with Microsoft Tweak UI tool application. You
can download it for free from MS site.