Lee768

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Have bought windows xp home oem, and did a clean install day i received it. as i had also done a hardware upgrade and all i had was some dodgey windows xp pro copy.
Unfortunately there is some sort of hardware problem and i've been trying to sort it or at least work out what it is. My latest idea was the bios and it turned out to be a pretty old version of it. so i updated the bios and booted up windows xp pretty confident that this would solve the problem programs ( yes i guess i still have no idea what i'm doing) and off course the problems were still there, so being just slightly retarded i decided the problem may be solved by doing a clean install, the idea being this new updated bios will make some sought of difference to the xp installation.
so now when it is installed it asks me to activate but it won't let me, says you have exceeded number of times u can activate this product. so will phoning microsoft help sort this ? as it is just an updated bios.
another problem being my last attempt to sort the hardware problem. a new board should turn up tommorrow and this is gonna mess things up again seeing as it is also a different type of board, will they allow for this or am i gonna have to buy windows again, seems a bit silly because it's still the same computer?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Wait until you finish the new mobo. After you do that fresh install, you'll have to call.

It's no big deal; tell them you had to change the mobo, but it's the same machine. They'll probably let it go.

They are a little pissier when it comes to reactivating OEM licenses. They are supposed to be on one hardware setup only. NO CHANGES. That's why they are cheaper.

Full versions on the same hardware have unlimited activations.