Sign in with
Your question

Worth it to upgrade to Vista?

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 1, 2007 6:23:07 PM

I was thinking about upgrading to vista but after reading some info on the DRM Microsoft has on it I am not so sure now

How would the drm affect games and other programs?

I would most likely keep a copy of xp on a different partition for the first few months at least.

More about : worth upgrade vista

February 1, 2007 6:33:19 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about upgrading to vista but after reading some info on the DRM Microsoft has on it I am not so shure now

How would the drm affect games and other programs?

I would most likely keep a copy of xp on a different partition for the first few months at least.

With gaming I have not noticed anything DRM related interfering with my experience. The only thing I have heard about DRM is how it works with HD DVD & Blu Ray disc.
m
l
February 1, 2007 7:06:39 PM

hi.
i also have the same question.
to upgrade or not?
i read that expect from hardware upgrade,in most cases,
it will slow the performance of the system.
m
l
Related resources
February 1, 2007 8:30:15 PM

will Direct X 9 games run slower on vista then on XP or is it about the same?

Here is my computer info

XP Pro
Thermaltake W0101RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 550W Power Supply
AMD X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 GB OCZ Ram
XFX Geforce 7600 GT 256 MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Plextor DVDR PX-716A
Maxtor 6L300SO 300GB SATA
Western Digital WD3200KS-00PFB0 320GB SATA 3.0
Seagate 320 GB Sata HDD
Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor
Bose 2.1 Speakers
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Case
m
l
February 1, 2007 10:56:51 PM

Some interesting findings....

XP vs Vista
m
l
February 2, 2007 5:05:33 AM

No its NOT worth upgrading. Infact its more of a downgrade. Games run slower.... DRM will make you want to pull your hair out..... its a resource hog.... there arent that many hardware drivers out there for Vista.... you will probably run into install probelms.... you will want to upgrade your hardware for Vista to run smoothly. 2GB should be standard for your machine. There are also MANY MANY applications that do NOT work with Vista.

VISTA SUCKS!!
m
l
February 2, 2007 9:31:38 PM

Quote:
No its NOT worth upgrading. Infact its more of a downgrade. Games run slower.... DRM will make you want to pull your hair out..... its a resource hog.... there arent that many hardware drivers out there for Vista.... you will probably run into install probelms.... you will want to upgrade your hardware for Vista to run smoothly. 2GB should be standard for your machine. There are also MANY MANY applications that do NOT work with Vista.

VISTA SUCKS!!

can you elaborate? I am no fan boy for Microsoft but I have ran Vista since November 30th and have had NO problems with DRM and games run the same as they do on XP. EVERY program that I use has been able to run on Vista without a problem.
m
l
February 3, 2007 12:11:16 AM

Quote:

can you elaborate? I am no fan boy for Microsoft but I have ran Vista since November 30th and have had NO problems with DRM and games run the same as they do on XP. EVERY program that I use has been able to run on Vista without a problem.

Cant install VLC (after that every video play as white screen in all players)
Some programs like totalcomander is missing icons.
System programs like oo defrag, non M$ firewalls not working corectly.
Some games dont even start.
Problems with cad/cams programs.

Actualy list can be quite big, but i just dont have linkls here at my work.

Its same as it was with compatibility when XP and 64b win came.

At least EVE online work as charm, so i can play :D 
m
l
February 3, 2007 12:23:32 AM

- VLC works fine for me
- Don't do much cad so can't comment on those but I believe they use OpenGL don't they?
- I have installed Half life 2, BF2, BF2142, CS:S, COD2 and they have all started and ran fine. What games have you had trouble with?
m
l
!