Sign in with
Your question

Help me keep my PS3 cool!!!

Last response: in CPUs
April 24, 2007 5:13:17 PM

Hy guys

My PS3 is coming the next week and I would really like to have it on my living roon aside my HDTV. It will be located where now stands my old, junked VCR. Its a wooden cabinet with 75cm X 11.5cm (length X height) or 30" X 4.5" on the imperial system. The back of it is open, so there will be air running on it. I know it will surely fit and look awesome, but will it burn my PS3?

Why does it have to be there? The look will be outstanding; the optic audio cable will be able to reach the 5.1 home theather and it will be in the center of the room.

And before anyone post the question "why do you ask it here on the CPU charts?" heres the answer: There is no PS3 topic in the games forumz, this is the most seen of the subforumz and third but not last, heat in the Cell is the same as heat on a QX6800.

Thanks in advance

More about : ps3 cool

April 24, 2007 5:30:45 PM

What? Are you serious?
It's a console, it's made to sit under a telly.
They make these things for the general public you know. People who's mind this type of thing doesn't even cross.....
Related resources
April 24, 2007 6:29:37 PM

well if your seriously worried about this I'll give you some tips. I don't have a ps3 but I'm going to assume they have a cooling fan that exhausts hot air out of the ps3 some place, most likely the rear of the unit.

All you should need to do is slide the ps3 to the back of the cabinet area it will be setting in. this will allow for the hot air to be pushed out of the cabinets open back and not trapped in with the ps3. As long as the area behind this open backed cabinet is free from wires and other obstructions, also granted its not right up against a wall, the fan on the ps3 should pump out the heat into your house and keep things plenty cool.

Mainly just try to avoid all the heat from being trapped in the cabinet with the ps3 and the easiest way is to have the ps3 fan pump it out for you.
April 24, 2007 6:51:44 PM

Don't worry as long as your room is not too hot then you're PS3 will keep it's cool. I have mine place inside a shelf with the glass door and the back side with vents and still it's not overheating. If you just wanna keep the console cooler then go ahead purchase them PS3 coolers.

Like this one here.
April 24, 2007 7:40:20 PM

put it in the fridge....

or change it for an overheating x6800 c2d, then we will help you.
April 25, 2007 12:31:16 AM

Well thank you for the answers...

The room itself is pretty cool. As I live in Brasil and in summer i can have a room temp of 25-30ºC. Its still a living room with 3 windows (usually closed since the wind is strong where I live) and no sun hits it directly. The place itself is a "wind tunnel" since its open in front and in the back. I am just worried because I heard the Xbox 360 had heat issues; no wonder the PS3 could have too...
April 25, 2007 12:37:44 AM

yes if you leave it on in the night it will bring out its mechanical legs, walk beside ur bed and light on fire... you will then be engulfed in flames.. that is sony's ultimate plan.. to kill ps3 buyers :lol: 
April 25, 2007 12:38:16 AM

Quote:
well if your seriously worried about this I'll give you some tips. I don't have a ps3 but I'm going to assume they have a cooling fan that exhausts hot air out of the ps3 some place, most likely the rear of the unit.

Wrong wrong and wrong.

The PS£ exhausts air from all around the case, not just the rear.

There are no cooling problems with the PS3, and certainly compared to a 360, it's quiet to boot.

Still no decent games for it though, and the online content is a joke - largely unfinished.
April 25, 2007 11:40:38 AM

I'm not gonna bitch and moan about the wrong section. I just want to know why the hell do the console geeks post their console joys/sorrows/problems on a COMPUTER enthusiast site? I know not all of you guys do this and I don't wanna argue I'm just curious...
April 25, 2007 11:51:40 AM

Maybe he wants a real answer? If he posted this on a PS3 fan site the answer would be along the lines of "PS3 is teh 1337! ITZ C4nn0t die! Cell rulzors! Yoo f1n3 n0ob!" As pignoli said, consoles are made to be treated like crap, the general public isnt going to think about proper cooling, and 90% of hardcore console fans are part of the general public.
April 25, 2007 11:53:55 AM

Quote:
Maybe he wants a real answer? If he posted this on a PS3 fan site the answer would be along the lines of "PS3 is teh 1337! ITZ C4nn0t die! Cell rulzors! Yoo f1n3 n0ob!"
ROTFLMAO!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 25, 2007 5:32:23 PM

put it in the freezer
April 25, 2007 8:22:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe he wants a real answer? If he posted this on a PS3 fan site the answer would be along the lines of "PS3 is teh 1337! ITZ C4nn0t die! Cell rulzors! Yoo f1n3 n0ob!" As pignoli said, consoles are made to be treated like crap, the general public isnt going to think about proper cooling, and 90% of hardcore console fans are part of the general public.

Thats part of the main problem also... I am not arguing about consoles or anything like it. I just want to know about heat on a processing unit of a system that looks like a PC. Fansites wouldn't give me much of an answer. In fact Toms Forumz itself is a hard place to share opinions since we have to deal with all the kind of PC geeks. I am also asking the same at DFi-street and even not receiving as many answers I'm quite pleased by how DFI forums users are much more polite then the average Toms forumz user.

And I'd like to thank all of you who gave some of your time and experience for a real answer. As I said, heat became a problem after I heard about overheating 360s (and quite a number of them) and asked myself if that could happen to the PS3.
April 25, 2007 8:38:58 PM

Consoles are made to be run to the ground, but I've found the best way to cool any console is to turn it off once in a while. :) 
April 26, 2007 12:52:47 AM

Quote:
Consoles are made to be run to the ground, but I've found the best way to cool any console is to turn it off once in a while. :) 

Hard to do that when you play a RPG like Final Fantasy...

I did not want to start with console discussions but Final Fantasy captured me to the Playstation brand (and then other games came). I played Final Fantasy 7 till the end with everything you might think of in therms of side quests and items NINE TIMES. I did not use to play short periods. Some of those RPGs can get you to go all night long (better if enjoyed with a Johnnie Walker bottle lol)
April 26, 2007 1:33:19 AM

Quote:
I did not want to start with console discussions but Final Fantasy captured me to the Playstation brand (and then other games came). I played Final Fantasy 7 till the end with everything you might think of in therms of side quests and items NINE TIMES. I did not use to play short periods. Some of those RPGs can get you to go all night long (better if enjoyed with a Johnnie Walker bottle lol)

Dude you do realize that every statement you posted in that paragraph can easily be substituted to/by/with a woman right O_o... Think about that :wink:
April 27, 2007 2:39:08 AM

Quote:

Dude you do realize that every statement you posted in that paragraph can easily be substituted to/by/with a woman right O_o... Think about that :wink:

Indeed joker, but about my personal life, it is not only none of your business but also it is very healthy. You CAN have a job, a girlfriend, study and play RPGs. I don't know where is writen "you can't have em both"... Some people like NBA, others like soccer, other likes RPGs. Tell me that every one that has a hobby does not have a social life and I will be sorry about the people you know

no ofense
April 27, 2007 8:55:31 AM

No, just play some kewl games, like Iceage :mrgreen:

Aerobernardo
Brasil i hear ya, it gets hot here as well,(up 2 35'D inside) i normally play with my pc case off and a extra fan sitting on my gpu, but a playstation i have no idea. AS long as there is good air flow you should be fine.
!