Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
So I got up this morning, checked my e-mail, walked to class, grabbed lunch and walked home. When I came in my room, I heard the ominous tone of a motherboard beep code that only accompanies errors. I move towards the PC, turn on the the monitor, which immediatedly flashes to inactivity/no signal. Reset the PC, same error, one long beep, two short ones.

At this point I ran downstairs and googled it:
1 long, 2 short - Video adapter Error - Either the Video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable i connected properly.

At first I was a little startled, until I saw this:
1long, 3short - No video card or bad video RAM - Reseat or replace the video card.
Fair enough, so it's probably not the video card, just an adapter or cable.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. Checked all cables. The cable to my TV was unplugged (roommate), but when I plugged it back in I got the same error. Phooey.
2. Reset the CMOS. Nada.
3. Unseated, cleaned, and reseated the video card. When powered up the VGA fan still runs fine.
4. Tried booting with NO video card - thought it might give me one long and three short indicating bad video card. Still got one long, two short however.

Not sure where to go with this one. Could this be 6-pin PSU PCIe connecter even though the fan is still running? I gotta get this fixed ASAP as it is Tuesday of the last week of classes and some coding project files are on that PC. Any help is greatly appreciated.

System Specs:
AMD 64 X2 3800+
eVGA nVidia 7800GT OC 256SE
2x 1GB Corsair XMS Performance
Western Digital 160GB HDD
Asus A8N5X
Aspire X-QPack
Raidmax Aurora 680W

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
see if you can borrow a vid card to check your system with, try the monitor on another pc to make sure it's okay.

your pc may have been "zapped" if someone unplugged the tv cables while it was running.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
if none of the things u try work.. could always be a motherboard.. i think if it wus video card it shoulda just went back to default settings and make everythign really big.. give motherboard a shot.. or keep it in mind

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
This is a brand new motherboard, so I would hate for it to be that. Waiting for a few more people to get back from class to test the card itself. Turns out most of my files were backed up on my network drive provided for us at Purdue (yay for me.) This isn't necessarily an emergency situation anymore, yay.