Sign in with
Your question

XP pro won't install on new machine, Vista installs fine

Last response: in Windows XP
February 2, 2007 9:57:49 AM

I'm installing a new machine based on the Asus Commander m/b with 4 Samsung 160Gb disks set up as RAID 0. Its primarily for games, so I have no worries about redundancy here (I'll backup save games to a USB pen drive).

Having created the RAID array I went through the setup procedure for Win XP Pro (OEM). It copied the initial files across but then errored saying it was 'protecting my computer'. I don't have the details to hand as I'm at work, but it was before I got to the partitioning / formatting section of the install.

I then tried Vista Premium (OEM) which partitioned, formatted and installed just fine. I'd only bought Vista to see what it was like though and was planning on using XP as my primary OS... That may have to change.

Can anyone identify why XP failed? Should I have loaded a RAID driver as part of the setup process, even for a 2007 m/b? Is XP that old?

In case it matters I get a Keyboard/input device (words to that effect) error message on boot, which allows me to hit F1 to continue. The USB keyboard and mouse work fine though.

I also go past the RAID setup screen (which correctly shows my devices and the array) and get another screen referring to RAID which says it can't find any devices. Its as though I have two RAID chipsets on the m/b. Obviously the array is working as I can get into Vista. Any ideas?
February 2, 2007 4:45:06 PM

For XP, you need to load the raid drivers.

And, for that, you need a floppy drive.
February 9, 2007 4:07:22 PM

Can you believe we still need the floppy drive for some stuff. Hey try and see if any of your buddies or the IT guys at your work has a usb floppy drive you can barrow to install the driver from floppy at the prompt. ps you may have to enable usb floppy in the bios for your mb to see it!
February 10, 2007 11:05:02 PM

Why not do RAID 0+1? It would save you a LOT of hassle if one drive fails... and with 4 drives, you have a higher probability of at least one of them failing. Besides, the negligible performance increase you'll get in games really isn't worth the effort.
!