My mind has melted NEED help deciding

Should I upgrade to Vista or Keep Media Centre Edition?

• Media Centre Edition.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Vista Home Premium

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvus

Distinguished
May 7, 2005
Ok I hve just purchased a new PC with MS Media Center Edition with a free upgrade to Vista Home Premium. I am a keen gamer playing mostly Joint Operations and Battlefield 2142. I plan on purchasing Crysis when it is released in September but probably no other games untill then. I also use my PC for photo editing and sig design and have a retail copy of Photoshop CS2. The problem I am having is that pretty much everything goes against Vista on the gaming side of things but goes in favour of Photoshop. I only have till the 31st of march to upgrade to Vista or I will be stuck with Media Centre Edition. So should I keep Media Centre Edition or Upgrade to Vista?

My PC Specs are

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core
MSI K9N SLI-2F nForce 570 SLI
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS
2GB Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory
Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
You got a better system than mine and I have run all of those applications that you stated just fine. Photoshop for me runs just as well as it did in XP. Games run pretty good but not as good as XP just for the fact that the drivers are still very immature. I would do the upgrade and wait for better video card drivers to come out if you are a big gamer. I used to be but I don't really have that much time anymore to game.

maggie4105

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Can't hurt to get the upgrade since it is free and decide later. Hang onto it until you are sure, though. Once you load it, your old version of XP won't load again since the key code will no longer be valid.

I purchased Vista the day it came out and really like all the new features. Plus, this is my first flat panel moniter and graghics card, so everything looks MUCH better.

The only problem was my new motherboard that was advertised as "Vista Ready" wasn't really. Had to go to website to get drivers and get into the CD with the software for motherboard and load each item seperately. The only other problems I have had with Vista aren't actually with Vista at all. I was forced to purchase a new version of office since I was changing to a new computer and I ended up buying a new version of MS Money just for the simple fact that I tried for two hours to download the updates for Money 05 and I was going crazy so it was worth the $30 just to be done with it. Really made me mad though, there is not one single change from 05 to 07.

Good Luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.