Can i ground a SINGLE OUTLET

BAR-12

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello, I have a water tank heater in a cattle water trough, it is shocking the cows. How can I ground it so it doesnt skock the cattle? Thanks

Pound a 3 or 4' long 1' copper rod into the ground and run the 12 guage ground wire from the waterheater ground to the new grounding rod.

Shocking cattle? Don't let PETA get wind of it! They might hook you up ton a car battery. :pt1cable:

BucksGold

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Depending on the type / quality of your soil, I would first dig a trench, at least several feet deep and then add rock salt, before you back fill. The rock salt will help with making a good conduction for your ground. Then lay in your ground rod, which should be at least six feet in length if not longer. They make two kinds of ground rods and that is something else to be aware of. They make galvanized and copper clad. The copper clad is more conductive and has fewer issues then the galvanized rods. As for the gauge of copper wire, I only recommend 8 gauge because 12 gauge is to light of a conductor for grounding purposes. If you can’t afford it, then go with 12 but I highly recommend the 8 gauge. Make sure all your connections are tight and you should be good to go. This is the way to do it right.

Check your hot/neutral connections. The neutral is already at ground if connected per code in most countries. If it's backwards, sure the cows will get a charge from drinking. If it's backwards a good ground connection will establish a circulating ground current and eat up your ground rod by electrolysis (and cost you $ to sustain that ground current). If you drive a good copper-clad ground rod in the ground and all the worms start jumping out of the ground, then you'll really know for sure the hot/neutral is backwards. This last item is how we get bait for fishing real quick.