DLP & LCD RP HDTV's and smearing

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 24, 2004 7:15:16 PM

Hi - new to this NG. I currently have a 40" Sony XBR
that's about 2 years old, with a Motorola DCT6200
PVR/HDTV cable box. The picture on the Sony is
really good, but I want something bigger.

I've been comparing the new Sony KDF-60XS955
LCD RP set, the Samsung 6163 DSP RP, and the
Toshiba 62HM84. Inclined towards the Sony a bit.

Today I was in Best Buy (although I don't think I'll
buy there...) and they had the Sony and Toshiba
next to each other with a CRT-based projector
unit from Mitsu I think.

They were running a HDTV demo, with scenes
from movies and some ESPN stuff including
a few football scenes. My daughter and I both
noticed that while the players were running
the edges of their uniforms were blurred on
the LCD and DLP sets but NOT on the CRT-
based set.

Now I am not really a sports fan but I find
this a bit of a concern so I guess I have
2 questions:

1. What am I seeing? Is the refresh rate
too slow, is it an artifact/limitation of the LCD
and DLP technology?

2. Anyone hooked up a Playstation, Xbox or
Gamecube to one of these? How does it look?

TIA

Jeff

More about : dlp lcd hdtv smearing

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:01:14 AM

I've noticed this on all DLP and LCD RPTV's. Some are worse than others,
and it seems to me the DLP models are worse. BTW, before you buy take a
close look at Hitachi's 60" LCD. I narrowed it down to the Sony and Hitachi
and went with the Hitachi and couldn't be happier.

"Jeff Netkook" <Netkook@netkook.com> wrote in message
> Hi - new to this NG. I currently have a 40" Sony XBR
> that's about 2 years old, with a Motorola DCT6200
> PVR/HDTV cable box. The picture on the Sony is
> really good, but I want something bigger.
>
> I've been comparing the new Sony KDF-60XS955
> LCD RP set, the Samsung 6163 DSP RP, and the
> Toshiba 62HM84. Inclined towards the Sony a bit.
>
> Today I was in Best Buy (although I don't think I'll
> buy there...) and they had the Sony and Toshiba
> next to each other with a CRT-based projector
> unit from Mitsu I think.
>
> They were running a HDTV demo, with scenes
> from movies and some ESPN stuff including
> a few football scenes. My daughter and I both
> noticed that while the players were running
> the edges of their uniforms were blurred on
> the LCD and DLP sets but NOT on the CRT-
> based set.
>
> Now I am not really a sports fan but I find
> this a bit of a concern so I guess I have
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. What am I seeing? Is the refresh rate
> too slow, is it an artifact/limitation of the LCD
> and DLP technology?
>
> 2. Anyone hooked up a Playstation, Xbox or
> Gamecube to one of these? How does it look?
>
> TIA
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 4:01:15 AM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message news:<u9apd.36408$g21.35841@fe1.texas.rr.com>...

> I've noticed this on all DLP and LCD RPTV's. Some are worse than others,
> and it seems to me the DLP models are worse. BTW, before you buy take a
> close look at Hitachi's 60" LCD. I narrowed it down to the Sony and Hitachi
> and went with the Hitachi and couldn't be happier.
>
> "Jeff Netkook" <Netkook@netkook.com> wrote in message
>
> > My daughter and I both
> > noticed that while the players were running
> > the edges of their uniforms were blurred on
> > the LCD and DLP sets but NOT on the CRT-
> > based set.

This is strange. For an LCD to time-smear is natural enough... some
LCDs are a lot quicker to change state than others. But DLP? Since a
DLP has to switch on and off for every frame just in order to control
the brightness, it should be quite impossible for any image data from
one frame to slop over into the next... unless there's something in
the set's firmware that's doing it, and I can't imagine why.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 6:17:56 PM

"Jeff Netkook" <Netkook@netkook.com> wrote
> I've been comparing the new Sony KDF-60XS955
> LCD RP set, the Samsung 6163 DSP RP, and the
> Toshiba 62HM84. Inclined towards the Sony a bit.
>
> Today I was in Best Buy (although I don't think I'll
> buy there...) and they had the Sony and Toshiba
> next to each other with a CRT-based projector
> unit from Mitsu I think.
>
> They were running a HDTV demo, with scenes
> from movies and some ESPN stuff including
> a few football scenes. My daughter and I both
> noticed that while the players were running
> the edges of their uniforms were blurred on
> the LCD and DLP sets but NOT on the CRT-
> based set.

I have a Sony KDF-60XS955 and have not noticed that problem with moving
images such as you describe. One of our primary reasons for buying the set
was for watching football games and we have not been disappointed.

mack
austin
!