2 routers preventing me to access internet

poisomike87

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
[/img]Hello! This is my first post so I will get to the point :)

First off here is my computer setup

(this is the one connected to the Dlink)
Celeron M 1.4ghz
512mb ram
Broadcom 802.11g wireless
intel 10/100 ethernet
Windows XP home

The others are just run of the mill dell optiplex GX110's with either Mepis 6.5 or windows xp pro.

the file server runs server 2003 standard

I am connected to 2 routers one that has my internet connection (Dlink DI-624 Via wireless)and Plugged into my ethernet port is My Airlink101 ar410w wireless broadband router

So basically I have 2 routers on my network. one hosts my internet connection and the other connects the house computers. I am not worried about internet on the other computers. the only thing I need is to be able to connect to my server in the basement where I keep all of my files.

I can ping both routers but I cannot ping computer outside the network (the internet)
so to cut it short when I have the airlink plugged in I can no longer access the internet when i disconnect it I have the internet back.

Here is an illustration

routerdillema.gif

My theory is that it is the internet gateway on the airlink is fighting the gateway of the dlink and my computer cannot make up its mind on what is the real gateway.

Does this make sense?

Is there a way that I can designate a primary internet gateway?

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
A couple things here... you have a dual home pc which is acting as a router as well. YOu got a bigger mess that you think because you are probably natting on the airlink, routing on the dual home and natting on the dlink. I like people to think so for this exercise, here's a couple of clues.

1. Your dual home PC is a router, how do you make it do packet forwarding.

2. How do you get traffic from you the DLINK to the computers behind the airlink (this is the part you don't care about).

3. YOu cannot access the internet when you plug your computer because you are probably doing DHCP on the Airlink side as well and you are getting a default route entry from the airlink in your routing entry as well. Now you have two default route entry in your routing table (one from the dlink and one from the ainlink).
Check to see if you have two routes for 0.0.0.0 in your routing table and they both have the same metric. You should only have one.

There are others but since you don't care about getting internet access to your home PCs... I'll leave those out...

I hope this is enough clues for you to figure out the problems. Will give more clues later.

[/img]Hello! This is my first post so I will get to the point :)

First off here is my computer setup

(this is the one connected to the Dlink)
Celeron M 1.4ghz
512mb ram
Broadcom 802.11g wireless
intel 10/100 ethernet
Windows XP home

The others are just run of the mill dell optiplex GX110's with either Mepis 6.5 or windows xp pro.

the file server runs server 2003 standard

I am connected to 2 routers one that has my internet connection (Dlink DI-624 Via wireless)and Plugged into my ethernet port is My Airlink101 ar410w wireless broadband router

So basically I have 2 routers on my network. one hosts my internet connection and the other connects the house computers. I am not worried about internet on the other computers. the only thing I need is to be able to connect to my server in the basement where I keep all of my files.

I can ping both routers but I cannot ping computer outside the network (the internet)
so to cut it short when I have the airlink plugged in I can no longer access the internet when i disconnect it I have the internet back.

Here is an illustration

routerdillema.gif

My theory is that it is the internet gateway on the airlink is fighting the gateway of the dlink and my computer cannot make up its mind on what is the real gateway.

Does this make sense?

Is there a way that I can designate a primary internet gateway?

poisomike87

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
If I replaces the Airlink with a switch and assign static IP addresses to the other segment of my network (home computers) Everything will work fine as there is no internet gateway with the switch.

Correct me if I am wrong.

El0him

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That would solve the problem of accessing the internet with your dual home PC when connected to both networks. Your dual home pc would be able to access the rest of the computer. It would be able to access the internet. However, your other PC will not be able to access the internet (which you state you don't care). Will it work? Yes, however, it's not a clean impementation

If I replaces the Airlink with a switch and assign static IP addresses to the other segment of my network (home computers) Everything will work fine as there is no internet gateway with the switch.

Correct me if I am wrong.

poisomike87

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Well all I need is to get to my files so it will work.

I would have it all connected to the dlink But I do not have physical access 24/7 and it would mean moving things I would rather be out of the way.