Stephen

I am trying to REMOVE old unused accounts from the User Accounts section in
Control Panel. After going through the proper procedures the computer does
nothing except lock up and tells me it is not responding. Also...when I try
to ADD a new account and then sign in to that account, a display pops up
with the following comment, " Cannot find the C:\Windows\system32\users.hlp
Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your disk. If not it you
need to reinstall it".

How do I check for this file and how do I reinstall? Thanks

pip22

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

START -- SEARCH--ALL FILES AND FOLDERS. enter the filename USERS.HLP at the
top, then click search.

"Stephen" wrote:

> I am trying to REMOVE old unused accounts from the User Accounts section in
> Control Panel. After going through the proper procedures the computer does
> nothing except lock up and tells me it is not responding. Also...when I try
> to ADD a new account and then sign in to that account, a display pops up
> with the following comment, " Cannot find the C:\Windows\system32\users.hlp
> Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your disk. If not it you
> need to reinstall it".
>
> How do I check for this file and how do I reinstall? Thanks

Stephen

Well, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately the search came up with
nothing, which I assume means I have lost that particular information. More
help would be appreciated. Stephen

"pip22" wrote:

> START -- SEARCH--ALL FILES AND FOLDERS. enter the filename USERS.HLP at the
> top, then click search.
>

> "Stephen" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to REMOVE old unused accounts from the User Accounts section in
> > Control Panel. After going through the proper procedures the computer does
> > nothing except lock up and tells me it is not responding. Also...when I try
> > to ADD a new account and then sign in to that account, a display pops up
> > with the following comment, " Cannot find the C:\Windows\system32\users.hlp
> > Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your disk. If not it you
> > need to reinstall it".
> >
> > How do I check for this file and how do I reinstall? Thanks

Gordon

Stephen wrote:
> Well, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately the search came up with
> nothing, which I assume means I have lost that particular information. More
> help would be appreciated. Stephen

Try this:

Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
your computer:
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service
Pack 1 installation media

If this process finds any corrupted or missing System files it will
replace them.

HTH

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Stephen

Thankyou for your suggestion. I tried it out but the computer asked me to
install XP Professional Service Pack 2. I have Service Pack 2 for XP Home.
Any suggestions?Thanks

"Gordon" wrote:

> Stephen wrote:
> > Well, I tried your suggestion but unfortunately the search came up with
> > nothing, which I assume means I have lost that particular information. More
> > help would be appreciated. Stephen
> >

> Try this:
>
> Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on
> your computer:
> a. Click Start, and then click Run.
> b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
>
> Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service
> Pack 1 installation media
>
> If this process finds any corrupted or missing System files it will
> replace them.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Stephen wrote:
|| Thankyou for your suggestion. I tried it out but the computer asked
|| me to install XP Professional Service Pack 2. I have Service Pack 2
|| for XP Home. Any suggestions?Thanks

SP2 is the same for both Home and Pro.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker